“I was talking to him before I even came up here,” said Smith. “Look, if we were to add Eric Weddle, it would just be so special. But regardless of who we add, I know (assistant defensive backs coach Rod Woodson) and (secondary coach Marcus Robertson) are going to make it work in the back-end. But Eric Weddle is definitely a special player and I think if we can get him, we’ll be alright.”
- Vic Tafur mentions that he expects some news regarding Weddle’s visit plans at some point today.
- Scott Bair reports that Weddle is, in fact, a target of the Raiders, but he’s expected to take his time with this process.
- According to Bill Williamson, the Raiders’ interest in Weddle appears to be more from their newly signed players than the front office.
- Free agent DE Chris Long mentioned during an interview with Sirius XM NFL that he prefers scheme where he can play nine-technique. (Alex Marvez)
- According to Ian Rapoport, the Browns’ scouting department actually wanted to draft Teddy Bridgewater over Johnny Manziel a few years ago, but were apparently overruled.
- In total, Manziel earned $7,707,913 during his time with the Browns and totaled 8 touchdowns and 7 interceptions. (Darren Rovell)
- Veteran LB Sean Weatherspoon had a visit lined up with the Jaguars before he signed with the Falcons on Thursday, according to Josina Anderson.