Redskins & LT Trent Williams Still โ€œFar Apartโ€ In Extension Talks

According to Rich Tandler of CSN Mid Atlantic, the Redskins and LT Trent Williams are โ€œfar apartโ€ in contract negotiations to the point where it appears likely that a deal will not get done before the start of the season.

Williams told reporters earlier in the week that heโ€™s really not overly concerned about the situation.

โ€œIโ€™m just not going to worry about it,โ€ Williams said on Tuesday. โ€œItโ€™s up at the end of the year, and as of right now Iโ€™ve just got to give Washington one of the best years of my career. Thatโ€™s my focus, just being better than last year. The contract situation, itโ€™ll work out. Hopefully. I donโ€™t really have a say in that.โ€

Redskins GM Scot McCloughan has already said that both sides would like to get a n agreement in place at some point in time.

With the salary cap likely to increase further in 2016, it makes sense that Williams and his agent wouldnโ€™t rush to get a deal done. However, Washington will have their franchise tag at their disposal in the event contract talks go nowhere.

Williams, 26, is in the final year of his six-year, $60 million contract that included $36.75 million guaranteed. Heโ€™ll make a base salary of $10.25 million for the 2015 season to go along with a cap figure of $13.7 million.

In 2014, Williams appeared in 15 games and was rated by Pro Football Focus as the No. 18 offensive tackle out of 84 qualifying players.

Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?

Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on X.com and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!

Leave a Reply