Home / Bengals / AFC Notes: Bengals, Colts, Jaguars, Jets & Raiders
AFC Notes: Bengals, Colts, Jaguars, Jets & Raiders
- Mike DiRocco of ESPN writes there is a level of “concern” from the Jaguars about their limited talent at safety.
- According to DiRocco, there are no players with lingering injury concerns outside of DT Sen’Derrick Marks (ACL), OLB Dante Fowler Jr. (ACL), and S James Sample (broken arm).
- DiRocco has seen progress in the throwing mechanics of QB Blake Bortles, in that he has “shortened” his delivery and is “lengthening” his follow through.
- According to DiRocco, RB Storm Johnson has been passed on the depth chart by both Bernard Pierce and Corey Grant.
- DiRocco does not expect Bortles to get over exposure during the preseason, but will receive the normal amount of playing time for a starter.
- WR Arrelious Benn has “more of a chance” to make the active roster than DiRocco previously envision. However, DiRocco prefers WR Tony Washington, due to his performance during OTAs and minicamp.
- Rich Cimini of ESPN believes that if QB Geno Smith can cut down on his turnovers, like Alex Smith for example, that the Jets could make the playoffs.
- According to Cimini, the franchise tag and the presence of rookie Leonard Williams, gives the Jets have the leverage in contract discussion with Muhammad Wilkerson.
- Cimini believes that Wilkerson’s contract will be the “starting point” for extension negotiations for DT Sheldon Richardson.
- Cimini does not think the Jets will target OLB Bruce Irvin if he becomes available, due to the presence of third-round rookie DE Lorenzo Mauldin.
- Second-year S Rontez Miles is not expected to start at any point this season, though he is “gaining” momentum.
- Bill Williamson of ESPN writes that WR Amari Cooper dropped some passes during minicamp, but there is no concern over it becoming an issue.
- Second-round rookie DE Mario Edwards is a candidate to start “right away“.
- According to Williamson, third-round rookie TE Clive Walford has been “outstanding” this offseason, and could potentially start over TE Mychal Rivera.
Tags Alex Smith Amari Cooper Andre Smith Andrew Whitworth Arrelious Benn Bernard Pierce Blake Bortles Bruce Irvin C.J. Uzomah Clint Boling Clive Walford Corey Grant Dante Fowler Jr Darqueze Dennard Donald Thomas Dre Kirkpatrick Eric Winston Erik Swoope Geno Smith Hugh Thornton Jack Doyle Jack Mewhort Jake Fisher James Sample Kevin Zeitler Lance Louis Leonard Williams Lorenzo Mauldin Mario Edwards Matt Lengel Muhammad Wilkerson Mychal Rivera Rontez Miles Russell Bodine Sen'Derrick Marks Sheldon Richardson Storm Johnson T.J. Johnson Tony Washington Trey Hopkins