Bengals owner Mike Brown explained why he elected to sign HC Marvin Lewis to a two-year contract in a recent interview with the Cincinnati Enquirer.
“I chose not to make a decision on what we were going to do going forward until all the evidence had been submitted. And that meant playing through the full season and not making a call prematurely,” Brown said. “I would say that while we had serious reverses and they were unsettling, to put it mildly, we bounced back at the end of the year. We beat two teams that were in playoff runs. We beat them in games that were important for them where they gave their best shot and I was impressed how we rebounded. That played into what was in my mind when I had to make a final call.”
Brown admitted that there were some issues the team dealt with this past season that he ultimately believes are correctable moving forward.
“Well, there are issues. They are countless. We discuss them all,” Brown said. “More often than not, way more often than not, we agree. There are occasions when we’ll see it differently. Quite often I permit him to go forward when I don’t necessarily see it the same way. Occasionally, I will say no, it’s going to be this way. It’s a mix of all that. That’s a day to day part of the business. One of the good things is we understand each other. While we aren’t always eye-to-eye, when we sit down I’d like to think when he leaves the room we have it set to go forward in a way that’s agreeable to both of us. I think that’ the general outcome. There’s nothing wrong with that. I think it’s healthy.”
The Miami Dolphins announced the following coaching moves on Friday:
- Dowell Loggains – Offensive Coordinator (NFLTR)
- Shawn Jefferson – Assistant Head Coach/Offense
- Ben Johnson – Wide Receivers Coach
- Clyde Christensen – Director of Football and Player Development
- Jeremiah Washburn – Offensive Line Coach
- The Dolphins also confirmed that they’ve fired DBs coach Lou Anarumo, RBs coach Danny Barrett and DL coach Terrell Johnson.
- Armando Salguero reports that the Dolphins have hired Kris Kocurek as their new DL coach, but he has yet to sign his contract, so nothing is official yet.
- The Jaguars have S Tashaun Gipson (foot) listed as questionable for Sunday’s AFC Championship game against the Patriots.
- Rob Demovsky reports that Scott McCurley is rejoining the Packers’ defensive coaching staff. According to Demovsky, McCurley may have a different role with the team this time around after previously coaching inside linebackers under Dom Capers.
- Demovsky adds that special teams assistant Jason Simmons will shift to a defensive position and the Packers will replace him with Maurice Drayton from the Colts.
- Steelers HC Mike Tomlin has hired Cardinals WRs coach Darryl Drake for the same position, replacing Richard Mann, who recently retired. (Ed Bouchette)