- The San Francisco 49ers have showed interest in signing Freeman as a backup.
ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reports that the Vikings are “intrigued” by Freeman, but still have “a lot of questions.”
Jay Glazer of Fox Sports spoke with Freeman last night who mentioned that he expects to decide on his next team by tonight.
- Glazer adds that the Vikings and Raiders are the favorites, but Bills, 49ers and Packers are among teams who have reached out to Freeman.
Mike Silver of the NFL Network reports that Freeman isn’t interested in the 49ers, due to playing time concerns, via Pro Football Talk.
We should know more regarding Freeman either Sunday night or earlier Monday morning.
- Stroud mentions that the Raiders are “moving slowly” as they can’t afford to make another mistake on the quarterback position.
- Stroud adds that Freeman intends to wait until after Sunday’s games before making any decisions.
Raiders OC Greg Olson told reporters earlier in the week that he’s “always been a fan of” Freeman.
“I’ve always been a fan of Josh as a person and a player,” Olson said, via CSN Bay Area. “I’ve always had the utmost respect for him. I think he’s a great player.”
You will find some other speculative options listed below. We’ll have more as the news is available.
This is the first we have heard that Freeman could be close to signing with a new team, which makes it hard to say which teams could be interested in signing with any amount of certainty. The Bills could be without E.J. Manuel for 6-8 weeks, and have yet to deny that Freeman could be an option for them.
- Ian Rapoport also reported that Cleveland is unlikely to sign Freeman.
- Tom Pelissero mentions that Tyler Thigpen could be an option for the Browns.
Meanwhile, the Bills have said that they intend to sign a quarterback now that E.J. Manuel is expected to miss a few weeks with an LCL sprain.
Freeman could be an option for Buffalo. It’s worth noting that they signed Matt Leinart during training camp, but he was pretty bad to say the least. There has also been some speculation circulating that Vince Young could also be someone they consider, but I would be surprised to see them go that route.
Raiders OC Greg Olson mentioned that he’s “always been a fan of” Josh Freeman.
“I’ve always been a fan of Josh as a person and a player,” Olson said, via CSN Bay Area. “I’ve always had the utmost respect for him. I think he’s a great player.“
However, HC Dennis Allen didn’t sound as optimistic about the idea.
- Ian Rapoport reported Thursday night that the Cardinals “aren’t interested” signing Freeman.
Other speculative options include: the Packers, Jaguars, Bengals, Vikings, Titans and Jets.