49ers HC Kyle Shanahan said he is happy that the Broncos passed on signing him as their head coach and is in a “better situation” in San Francisco.
“But I definitely happy where I’m am, and I think it’s definitely a better situation not being there with my dad,” Shanahan said, via Matt Maiocco of NBC Sports. “I enjoy going back there to visit, but I like living where I’m at.”
- Matt Barrows of The Athletic does not think Shanahan wants to make a change at defensive coordinator because the team feels the scheme is “solid” and just needs “better pieces” to improve.
- However, Barrows points out that Shanahan said he intends to use the final stretch of the season to “evaluate” the roster and coaching staff: “Right now, I’m evaluating the heck out of our team, our coaching staff and we’ve got four games here that are extremely important. There’s a lot of tough decisions that we’ve got to make at the end of this year. How guys look, how guys play, how they act, I want to know who is going to be a part of helping us here and helping us turn it around. Those decisions haven’t been made yet and they’ll be very critical here over the next four weeks.”
- In the end, Barrows believes 49ers DC Robert Saleh is “safe“, but coaching changes could happen at defensive backs and receivers.
- Shanahan also said that he is comfortable playing rookie WR Dante Pettis at all three receiver spots: “Dante has done all three this year and we’ve had to change him around each week. That’s why this was the first week where all guys got to stay at the same spots. But Dante has the skill set to do all three of them.”
- Rams HC Sean McVay said Wednesday that RB Malcolm Brown’s clavicle injury will require 8-10 weeks to heal, meaning he’s likely headed to injured reserve. (Myles Simmons)