Here are some of the days noteworthy NFL news topics:
- The sudden injury to DE Mathias Kiwanuka was the most surprising news of the day. He was not on the Giants injury report all week and suddenly showed up on todays list with a bulging cervical disc in his neck. The team could already be without DE Osi Umenyiora for Sunday’s game against the Chicago Bears so the loss of Kiwanuka will limit the teams defensive line depth. Kiwanuka complained about stiffness in his neck last night and was checked out by doctors today. The Giants are still unsure of what caused the injury but it’s worth noting that Antonio Pierce suffered herniated disc in his neck last season and wound up retiring.
- Andre Johnson appears to be a game time decision for Sunday’s game against Oakland. Johnson said that he feels “more sore” now than he did last weekend. Not a good sign the Houston Texans or Johnson’s chances of playing against the Raiders.
- The NFL Networks Jason La Canfora reported today that New Orleans Saint’s quarterback Drew Brees took 100 percent of the teams snaps in practice this week. Sounds like a really positive sign for Saints considering that he was wearing a knee brace for most of the week.
- Baltimore Ravens WR T.J. Houshmandzadeh talked about his lack of involvement in the Ravens offense today. “I told myself going in I wasn’t expecting much the first three weeks, because obviously, they had a few things set in stone before I got here and I’m not saying I’m expecting more this week, but I know the first few weeks I didn’t expect a lot. Hopefully that will change, because that’s why I came here. So, we’ll see how it goes.” If the team continues to limit his play his current situation could begin to resemble the same situation that he left in Seattle.
- The Buffalo Bills released LB Kawika Mitchell today after he requested his release from the team earlier in the day. Mitchell was placed on IR just before the start of the season because of a foot injury that he suffered. Mitchell and the Bills negotiated an injury settlement this afternoon which will allow him to begin the search for a new team.
- The Seattle Seahawks have placed LB Leroy Hill on IR because an achillies injury that he suffered during week 2’s game against the Broncos. Tough year for Hill who restructured his contract which ultimately took four years off of the deal he signed in 2009. He will now be a free agent at the end of the year.
- Jared Gaither is still dealing with a mysterious back injury that has kept him out of practice all season. The Ravens aren’t sure whether or not Gaither will be able to help them this season which has caused head coach John Harbaugh to express some frustration about Gaither’s work ethic. The Ravens could be considering shutting him down for the season if he is unable to get healthy.