- Brad Biggs reports that the Bears are one of teams exploring possibility of signing free agent QB Brian Hoyer as a backup.
- Troy Renck adds that the Jets and Cowboys are also among the interested teams in Hoyer.
- Scott Petrak isn’t ruling out the Browns either trading or releasing veteran QB Josh McCown now that they’ve drafted USC QB Cody Kessler.
Jets HC Todd Bowles told reporters that if they can re-sign QB Ryan Fitzpatrick, he would still be their starter, even though he they drafted Christian Hackenberg in round two.
“If we get Ryan back, he’s our starting quarterback going in,” Bowles said, per Seth Walder. “But they are more than welcome to take it from him.”
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Jets plan to sit Hackenberg and allow him to develop.
- Rapoport expects the Jets to re-sign Fitzpatrick to a one-year deal, if they can reach an agreement.
- ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that it’s been “weeks” since the Jets engaged in meaningful contract talks with free agent Fitzpatrick.