Cardinals HC Bruce Arians said that they’ll probably play their starters this year including QB Carson Palmer more than last year during the upcoming preseason.
“He’ll probably play more than he did last year,” Arians said, via ESPN.com. “We’ll play our starters more than we did last year.”
Palmer mentioned that he’s actually excited about training camp and playing during the preseason.
“I’m excited about camp. I’m excited about preseason games,” Palmer said. “I’m ready to work. I’m available and I’m going to do what I’m told as far as that’s concerned.”
“Yeah,” McCown said. “All of our expectations should be that way. I’m no different. I came here because I had an opportunity to compete for the job, so that’s my expectation — to go out and play the best football that I’ve ever played and help this team win football games.
“Obviously, any time you’re in a situation where you have this much more experience than the other guys, you should have an advantage,” McCown said. “But, at the same time, we’re all in this thing together and it’s a new offense. We’re all learning it. I thought this spring was very beneficial for us and I think training camp will be where we can take it to another level.”
- Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle writes that the Texans are banking on new starter Tom Savage to provide stability at the quarterback position this year.
- While the Texans are clearly excited about first-round QB Deshaun Watson, Wilson mentions that they still don’t want to rush him into a starting role.
- As for DE J.J. Watt, Wilson says that “all indications are that he’s made a sound recovery and is prepared for the rigors of the game after taking a much less aggressive approach to his rehabilitation following his second surgical procedure.“
- According to Wilson, LT Duane Brown is still not expected to report to the team in time for training camp, as there’s an impasse between him and the team regarding his contract.
- Wilson mentions that the Texans are “highly motivated” to get a long-term extension in place with WR DeAndre Hopkins, but things have been quiet on the negotiating front up to this point.