- Tony Pauline reports that Michigan OL Eric Magnuson met with the Saints Thursday night.
- Michigan WR Amara Darboh met with the Titans, Panthers, Patriots and Saints, according to Pauline.
- New Haven LB Tyler Condit met with the Giants and Colts following his recent workout, per Pauline.
- Aaron Wilson reports that Virginia S Kelvin Rainey is set to work out for the Texans.
- Ryan O’Halloran of the Florida Times-Union guesses that the Jaguars won’t pick up QB Blake Bortles‘ fifth-year option in the next month.
- O’Halloran believes C Brandon Linder should be “Priority A” in regards to a contract extension for the Jaguars.
- Jacksonville will likely want to get WR Allen Robinson locked up long-term by the start of training camp, according to O’Halloran.
- A league source tells O’Halloran that CB Aaron Colvin will likely want to play out his rookie contract and move on next year to secure a chance of playing outside cornerback.
- O’Halloran’s guess is that the Jaguars would like to sign LB Telvin Smith to a new deal at some point.
- As for WR Marqise Lee, O’Halloran could see extension talks taking place during the season, depending on how he opens the season.
“People that don’t know what they’re doing sign McCown — and they don’t know what they’re doing,” the personnel source said. “It was 2 o’clock in the morning and they had to go home with someone because they were desperate. It’s going to have a bad ending. To bring him in, knowing he’s going to get hurt and he might not be good enough … I don’t get it. I think he’s done. In Tampa (2013), he really got beat up. The guy was a piñata. He’s a tough kid and, at one time, he had talent. But now it’s probably diminished.”
A separate source believes this is just a precursor to the Jets drafting another quarterback.
“To me, it’s even more indicative of them pursuing a long-term solution in this draft,” said opposing personnel executive. “What they have at least is a veteran who can play the position, who, although not a preferred starter, has started in his career and has been in this kind of situation before as a placeholder. He can be a good influence on a young quarterback. You’re not going to win a lot of games with him, but he can run your offense, manage the line of scrimmage and function as a serviceable pro. By no means does signing McCown eliminate the need to find their guy.“