Dolphins franchise WR Jarvis Landry said he isn’t even considering the possibility of playing out the 2018 season under the franchise.
“The team decides to exercise the franchise tag. I’m considering not playing on it,” said Landry, via NFL.com. “The franchise tag is not a good deal for me. In my case I’ve played four years. Then you get another year of basically not signing me to a long-term deal. In that year anything can happen. Look at guys like Ryan Shazier, who may not have an opportunity to play again.
Landry mentions Steelers LB Ryan Shazier, who sustained a career-threatening back injury while still playing out his rookie contract, as one of the reasons why he wants to land a long-term contract.
“He’s fighting a battle to just walk again. I’m at the point where taking care of my family is the most important thing for me. I put my body on the line for years. I’ve sacrificed my time and my life to make sure that I have this opportunity.”
- When asking NFL scouts and coaches who threw the best at the NFL Combine, Tom Pelissero indicates that Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield and Wyoming QB Josh Allen got most of the votes, while Virginia’s Kurt Benkert is another prospect “who seems to have helped himself.”
- South Florida QB Quinton Flowers was asked to do running back drills at the NFL Combine, while South Florida RBs coach Shaun King said the prospect will be a punt returner at the professional level. (Ian Rapoport)
- The Buccaneers are hosting LSU LB Arden Key for a formal interview on Saturday. (D. Orlando Ledbetter)
- Boston College DE Harold Landry said he met with the Lions and DC Paul Pasqualoni, who coached him at B.C. Landry added that he “absolutely fits” into Detroit’s defensive scheme and mentioned his success playing under Pasqualoni. (Kyle Meinke)
- The Lions also had a formal interview with Georgia LB Lorenzo Carter. (Kyle Meinke)
- The Patriots met six defensive prospects this week, including Ohio State DEs Sam Hubbard and Jalyn Holmes, Virginia DT Andrew Brown, Utah DT Kylie Fitts, Wake Forest LB Duke Ejiofor and UCLA DE Matt Dickerson. (Doug Kyed)
- Kent Somers says “do not discount the Cardinals from being out of the Kirk Cousins sweepstakes.”
- According to Mike Jurecki, Cardinals impending free-agent WR Jaron Brown has “nine teams” showing interest, with some of those teams viewing him as a No. 2 receiver and special teams contributor.
- As for fellow impending free-agent WR John Brown, Jurecki writes that he is finally recovered from his foot injury and “at least seven teams” are interested in him.
- According to JP Finlay, the Packers could be a team to watch for Redskins free agent OLBs Trent Murphy and Junior Galette, given that they’re looking to upgrade their pass rush this offseason.
- We have both players featured in our Top 100 – 2018 NFL Free Agents list.
- Wisconsin LB Leon Jacobs had an informal meeting with the Packers at the combine and said he expects to run a 40-yard dash time in the 4.5. (Danny Cunningham)