- Jason La Canfora mentions that much of the head-coaching process is being impacted by Patriots OC Josh McDaniels. According to La Canfora, things will come into focus once McDaniels makes up his mind about where he’ll be coaching in 2017.
- McDaniels won’t be able to officially be hired until the Patriots’ season is over, but it still wouldn’t be surprising to see a team wait for him, especially if it’s clear he’s ready and willing to take over as their head coach.
- In the end, La Canfora wouldn’t be surprised to see the 49ers “make him an offer he can’t refuse.“
- Jason La Canfora reports that even with the poor outing from his defensive unit against the Steelers, Dolphins DC Vance Joseph is still a “very hot coaching” candidate.
- La Canfora mentions that five of the six teams with opening have contacted Joseph and the plan, according to his agent Brian Levy, is for him to take some time to sort out when he’ll meet with the 49ers, Chargers, Broncos, Rams, and Bills.
- As of now, La Canfora says that it remains to be seen whether Joseph will take all five interviews but he wouldn’t be surprised if the Broncos were the first team on his list.
- Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports writes that he wouldn’t be surprised at all to see Redskins OC Sean McVay land one of the six available head-coaching jobs in the coming weeks.
- Sources have told La Canfora that the Rams are “legitimately intrigued” by McVay and if the 49ers don’t land Josh McDaniels, he could see McVay emerging as a top candidate for San Francisco.
- Matt Maiocco reports that the 49ers have interviews scheduled with Redskins OC Sean McVay and Panthers executive Brandon Beane for Monday and Panthers DC Sean McDermott and ESPN’s Louis Riddick on Tuesday.
- Here’s our 49ers’ report/rumors tracker for their head coach and GM positions. (NFLTR)
Following Sunday’s win over the Dolphins, Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger was wearing a walking boot on his injury ankle. However, Big Ben said that it won’t impact him being available next week.
“You’re always worried about being hurt,” Roethlisberger said, per Ian Rapoport. “I’ll be out there next week”
- Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, citing a league source reports that Steelers OC Todd Haley would interview for available head-coaching jobs if requested, even though he likes his current job with Pittsburgh.