Mike Freeman has spoken to sources around the league who have told him that Oklahoma RB Joe Mixon is moving up draft boards, despite the obvious concerns that come with drafting him.
The belief that the fallout from Mixon’s video in which he punches a female student in the face would have a similar impact on him that it had on Ray Rice doesn’t appear to be the case, according to Freeman.
Instead, Freeman says that Mixon has impressed teams during his meetings and some teams have told him that there’s “no player is moving up draft boards faster than Mixon.” It’s possible Mixon could end up being a second-round pick or possibly even a late first-rounder pick when all is said and done.
Although, based on interviews he’s done, Freeman says that the NFL doesn’t want to see Mixon drafted, as it would undermine their efforts to curb violence against women.
- According to Jim Owczarski, the Bengals have had some discussions with free agent RB Cedric Peerman, but there’s nothing solid regarding a return up to this point.
- Owczarski adds that the Bengals are drafting at least one running back this year.
- Todd Archer mentions that while the Cowboys prefer to keep La’el Collins at left guard, their recent decision to re-sign Jonathan Cooper gives them options to try Collins at right tackle next season.
- Mike Giardi reports that Patriots restricted free agent CB Malcolm Butler has “very much warmed up to the idea of playing in New Orleans and closer to home.“
- Butler is scheduled to visit with the Saints on Thursday. (NFLTR)
- Jeremy Fowler reports that the Steelers showed some “mild interest” in re-signing OLB Jarvis Jones before he reached a deal with the Cardinals on Tuesday, but Pittsburgh didn’t make a major push to sign him.