A league source tells Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com that NFL owners wanted to have an extension in place for commissioner Roger Goodell before the upcoming owners meeting in order to prevent Cowboys owner Jerry Jones from continuing his efforts to table a deal.
“Animosity towards Jerry is running very high,” Breer’s source said. “The idea that the owners were going to waltz into Dallas and let Jerry dictate to them? That was never going to happen.”
“People that might have been willing to wait saw Jerry going crazy and it actually galvanized (the owners),” an ownership source tells Breer. “He’d already caused the damage, and even after he’d said he wouldn’t sue, he was organizing calls and lobbying owners. Enough people said, ‘It’s not Jerry’s league.’ Jerry’s done a lot for the league, but he’s pulling us apart.”
- Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com writes that wouldn’t rule out the possibility of Eli Manning returning to the Giants next year, despite all that has transpired the past few weeks.
- Breer points out that Giants could afford to carry Manning and then draft either Sam Darnold or Josh Rosen.
- Breer believes Manning would at least consider the possibility of returning to team next year, given that he values being a career Giant. On top of that, Manning would be a great veteran to work with a young quarterback prospect.
- As for the Giants’ GM search, Breer mentions Bill Belichick’s influence on the process shouldn’t be overlooked, considering his relationship with owner John Mara and the fact that consultant Ernie Accorsi has helped Belichick protégés Thomas Dimitroff (Atlanta) and Bob Quinn (Detroit) in the past.
- Interestingly enough, Breer gets the sense that Patriots VP of player personnel Nick Caserio is willing to listen to opportunities this offseason, especially when it comes to an opportunity like the Giants.
- While the Lions signed HC Jim Caldwell to an extension during the offseason, Albert Breer doesn’t think his new deal makes him 100 percent safe.
- Breer guesses that the team will hold some discussions about Caldwell’s future after this season if they end up missing the playoff.
- One name to watch for the Lions, according to Breer, should they have an head-coaching vacancy, is Patriots DC Matt Patricia, who has obvious ties to GM Bob Quinn.
- If the Patriots end up losing VP of player personnel Nick Caserio to a GM opportunity this offseason, Albert Breer could see HC Bill Belichick attempting to lure Falcons assistant GM Scott Pioli back to New England.