- Adam Caplan reports that 49ers HC Chip Kelly is hiring Dana Bible as a senior advisor.
Bill Barnwell of ESPN offers five roster moves for the Buccaneers that would make sense this offseason.
- Barnwell starts by recommending the Buccaneers cut CB Alterraun Verner, LB Bruce Carter and C Evan Smith for a total of $13.5 million in cap space.
- From there, Barnwell suggests waiting out the market on RB Doug Martin and re-signing him to a contract that will likely be closer to $4 million per year.
- Barnwell thinks Tampa Bay would be better off keeping veteran WR Vincent Jackson another year, even though he may not be worth his $12.2 million cap figure.
- Barnwell believes the Bucs should go after a No. 1 pass-rusher such as Olivier Vernon or Mario Williams in the event he’s released.
- Barnwell doesn’t stop there regarding pass-rushers, as he recommends bringing in even more help at the position with Jason Pierre-Paul, Tamba Hali and Wallace Gilberry being some speculative options.
Falcons impending free agent DE/OLB O’Brien Schofield said he would like to re-sign with the team.
“I want to be here in Atlanta,” Schofield said, via ESPN.com. “If they ask me why they should keep me, I’m going to tell them that I’m a leader. I know how this game is played. I give 100 percent effort every time on the field. I’m a great guy in the locker room. I’ve been in Coach (Dan) Quinn’s system, so I know exactly what he’s looking for as far as how to practice, how to play. I do believe I’m an emotional leader on this team.
“And I’ve stepped into multiple roles. I played Will (linebacker). I played Sam (linebacker). I played D-end. I’ve done whatever has been asked of me. I really feel like I’m an intricate part of this team.”
- Manish Mehta can see the Giants making sense for DL Muhammad Wilkerson in a potential trade. However, he isn’t sure it’s all that plausible of an idea, seeing as the Giants likely wouldn’t be willing to part with their No. 10 overall pick and sign Wilkerson to massive contract extension.
- According Mehta, LB Demario Davis will likely be playing elsewhere in 2016.
- According to Rand Getlin, a number of NFL are hoping Jets impending free agent RB Bilil Powell ends up testing the open market.