- NFL Media’s Gregg Rosenthal writes that the Bills would save more than $6 million by trading RB LeSean McCoy, but it might take a serious injury to another starter to get a deal done.
Jets QB Sam Darnold says it’s fair to expect “a lot more wins” after the additions New York made this offseason. Darnold stopped short of guaranteeing a playoff berth, however.
“I don’t want to speak too soon on that,” Darnold said via the New York Post’s Steve Serby. “I think it just kind of depends on how the season goes and all that. When you start the season, it’s Super Bowl-or-bust, every team has the same goal, so in that regard, yes. But there’s definitely stepping stones that you have to make up become a great team and kind of build that culture that I’ve been talking about. So I guess we’ll kind of see when the season kind of dwindles down here.”
- According to SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano, a team source is “hopeful” Jets first-round DT Quinnen Williams is signed before Thursday’s first full practice, however, there are no guarantees.
- NFL Media’ Tom Pelissero reports the holdup with Williams is related to deferment of his signing bonus that could cost him $100,000.
- The Jets have made one offer with a lower percentage of the signing bonus payable in year 1 than all but one other top-ten player and lower than any previous top-ten pick by the team under the current CBA.
- That’s important because Williams is a resident of Alabama until the end of this year and moves into a higher tax bracket when he moves to New Jersey.
- If the Jets don’t move off this negotiation point, Pelissero says there’s a good chance Williams remains unsigned for the start of camp.
- Ben Volin of the Boston Globe says to pay attention to Patriots third-round RB Damien Harris with RB Sony Michel sidelined on the PUP.
- Patriots OT Isaiah Wynn passed his physical as he comes back from a torn Achilles and will not start camp on the PUP list, per Ian Rapoport.
- The Athletic’s Nick Underhill lists QB Danny Etling, RB Rex Burkhead, DL Byron Cowart, S Obi Melifonwu and P Ryan Allen as some notable players on the roster bubble.
- Underhill adds the Patriots will likely add another tight end at some point before the season.
- NFL Media’s Gregg Rosenthal also says Burkhead could be on the bubble, as the Patriots could find it hard to justify keeping six running backs/fullbacks.
- Rosenthal adds WR Demaryius Thomas shouldn’t be considered a sure thing for the roster as he showed signs of decline even before an Achilles injury.
Albert Breer writes that while the Patriots have some questions at a few offensive positions including left tackle, tight end, and receiver, the internal belief is that their depth on defense is as good as it’s been in years.
Breer adds that if the Patriots and figure out their edge rusher need, the feeling is that the defense should be able to carry their offense, even after the coaching losses on that side of the ball.