Former Bills OC Steve Fairchild believes first-round QB Josh Allen has “elite talent” and was his top quarterback prospect in this year’s draft.
“I had a chance to work with Josh before and I think he is an elite talent,” Fairchild said, via BuffaloBills.com. “I don’t think you have guys coming out every year that can do the things he can do that will translate into being an NFL quarterback. When I watched him play and had a chance to go back and review his tape he was the number one quarterback in my mind coming out and I think it was an absolute steal for the Buffalo Bills to get him where they did.”
- When comparing the throwing mechanics of first-round QB Sam Darnold and former Jets QB Christian Hackenberg, Rich Cimini of ESPN notes that the team is not attempting to fix Darnold’s throwing motion, given that he was a more consistent passer than Hackenberg was during his college career.
- Regarding Hackenberg, Cimini writes that Jets OC Jeremy Bates was evidently convinced that they could not successfully alter his throwing mechanics in time for next season.
- Although Cimini believes it’s too early to determine the final order on the cornerback depth chart, he expects both Buster Skrine and Morris Claiborne to be “heavily involved” behind No. 1 CB Trumaine Johnson.
- Cimini could see Skrine playing the slot in nickel packages, with Claiborne and Johnson lining up outside.
“I knew that it would be a process and [the playbook] was going to be something I would be expected to learn quickly and expected to work hard and do my best in learning that,” Etling said. “It’s been a process and I’m still learning, obviously, and still learning the intricate things that come with being on the field. As I continue getting reps and continue practicing and training and working hard and learning from the guys and from the coaches, I think it’ll be something we keep working toward.”
- Jeff Howe reports that Patriots LB Dont’a Hightower (chest) participated in practice on Thursday.
- While Hightower was limited, Howe says that this a strong development, as the goal has been for him to be ready in time for training camp.