- The Bengals officially ruled out DT Geno Atkins (shoulder) and S Shawn Williams (calf) for Week 1’s game and list CB LeShaun Sims (not injury related) as doubtful.
Browns’ WR Jarvis Landry said that he’s still not completely healthy following hip surgery prior to the Week 1 opener against the Ravens.
“I think it’s just something that I’m going to be dealing with,” Landry said, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. “I think it’s one of those things that the further out I get from surgery, the better I’ll continue to feel. Right now, I am just doing everything possible to be able to come out here, work as hard as I can each day and make sure I take care of my body. How much I will be as far as gameplan-wise will be up to the coaches. I’m still getting better. I’m still improving, taking each and every day to work on the things that I need to work on to make sure that I’m healthy out there and make sure that I can go out there and compete and help this team win games.”
“It’s going to be a tough matchup,” Landry said. “Those guys are who they are, and they have been that way for a while. For us, we just have to continue to keep our head in the right place and identify their strengths and their weaknesses, identify our strengths and weaknesses and then try to just make one more play than they do.”
- Browns HC Kevin Stefanski announced Friday that he’ll be calling plays this season, but said it will be a collaborative effort. (Jake Trotter)
- Per Cleveland.com’s Mary Kay Cabot, Browns QB Baker Mayfield is aware 2020 is a big season for him: “Out to prove [I’m] much better than what I’ve shown in the two years prior.”
- This year presents some unique challenges with a new coaching staff and the lack of practice time thanks to the pandemic but Mayfield is already shunning those excuses: “It could be an excuse if you use it, but that’s not what I’m doing here. Singular focus on this year and what we can do, and that’s the ultimate goal so move forward.”
- Browns WR Jarvis Landry is recovering from hip surgery this offseason and says every day he feels better: “The further out I get from surgery the better I’ll continue to feel.” (Tony Grossi)
- Asked about Browns TE David Njoku being listed as the No. 3 tight end, OC Alex Van Pelt said the former first-round pick will still have a role: “We’ll have packages for each guy. We’ll use all our personnel and David will be part of that.” (Grossi)
- The Browns officially ruled out T Christopher Hubbard (ankle), CB Kevin Johnson (liver), CB Greedy Williams (shoulder), and LB Mack Wilson (knee) for Week 1’s game and list CB M.J. Stewart (hamstring) and C J.C. Tretter (knee) as questionable.
- The Ravens officially ruled out RB Justice Hill (thigh), DT Justin Madubuike (knee), and WR Chris Moore (finger) for Week 1’s game and list G Tyre Phillips (ankle) as questionable.
- Steelers WR JuJu Smith-Schuster confirmed that WR Diontae Johnson practiced on Friday: “He means a lot. He’s a guy who knows the playbook, can play inside outside, he’s done a tremendous job… he’s going to be an asset to this offense.” (Brooke Pryor)