The drama between the Bengals and DE Carlos Dunlap has somewhat overshadowed how bad Cincinnati has been on defense this season. It’s gotten to the point where replacing DC Lou Anarumo could be a viable option. Both Anarumo and Bengals HC Zac Taylor got their first major coaching experience in midseason changes but Taylor wouldn’t say if he’s considering shaking things up.
“I think every situation is different, and it’s hard to compare situations,” Taylor said via the Athletic’s Paul Dehner Jr. “I believe in our staff. We’re a play away from winning a game and getting that momentum. A stop away. Some of them are self-inflicted, but again, it takes everybody. It takes this whole coaching staff and every player in all three phases to take the pressure off each other. Every situation is different, and I’ve got confidence in this staff.”
- ESPN’s Ben Baby points out the acquisition of OL B.J. Finney from the Seahawks could free up the Bengals to trade away former first-round C Billy Price, as they play similar roles.
- Bengals CB William Jackson returned to practice Wednesday after missing this past week with a concussion. (Baby)
Despite Myles Garrett’s game-wrecking performance, Browns’ HC Kevin Stefanski knows that they could still use pass-rushing help.
“That’s something that we’re talking about,” Stefanski said, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com. “You mentioned Myles. He continues to make big plays, and we’re counting on him. We just need to have a rush plan. Whether we’re rushing four or more, we have to be able to apply [pressure] and affect the QB. A couple of times we did that, and a couple of times – give them credit – they blocked it up. We’ll look at it and come up with a plan that makes sense and just again, putting guys in position to go play and win a one on one ultimately is we are looking to do.”
Stefanski says he isn’t ruling out G Wyatt Teller for next week and is excited to see WR KhaDarel Hodge come off of injured reserve. However, it is starting RB Nick Chubb who the team is currently focused on getting back from injury.
“He’s as you can imagine attacking this thing,” Stefanski said. “He’s working very, very hard. I know he’s on schedule, and I wouldn’t be shocked if he was ahead of schedule.”
- Teller still hasn’t practiced as of Wednesday but Stefanski wasn’t ready to rule him out. (Scott Petrak)
- Per ESPN’s Jamison Hensley, Ravens HC John Harbaugh didn’t put a timetable on when WR Dez Bryant could see the field: “We’ll see where he’s at. He looked good at the workout. When and if he’s ready to go, he’ll be out there.”
- According to the Athletic’s Mark Kaboly, the Steelers have zero plans to trade CB Cameron Sutton. The corner sparked some speculation with cryptic social media posts.