Broncos HC Vic Fangio said having Week 1 of the regular season less than a month away forces them to “squeeze things in” to practice.
“I have to keep reminding myself that we only have 13 or 14 practices left before we’re in game week for Tennessee,’’ Fangio said, via Mike Klis of 9News. “We have to squeeze things in. Many times, when I’m making the script or installing, I get the feeling like we’ve only practiced three or four days and you think you can go slower. Then I have to remind myself to look at what’s left and what’s coming and how soon it is. We have to find that fine balance every day.”
Fangio praised Broncos’ third-round C Lloyd Cushenberry‘s intelligence and said the rookie is doing well this offseason.
“One thing that he’s got going for him that a lot of rookies don’t have going for them is that he is smart,’’ Fangio said. “He’s picking things up very well. He’s calm at the line of scrimmage, as you know the center has to make a lot of calls. He excels at that. He’s not a totally honed up machine on it right now, but we expect that he will be.”
Fangio added that Cushenberry’s experience playing in “big games” while at LSU has been beneficial for the lineman.
“He’s also got going for him that he played a lot of big games at LSU especially last year where they won it all on the big stage. I think that helped him too. We’re encouraged by him.’’
- Chargers HC Anthony Lynn said CB Chris Harris Jr. is dealing with some soreness in his lower legs, which has slowed him the past couple days. (Jeff Miller)
- Per the Athletic’s Nate Taylor, Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill (hamstring) and DE Alex Okafor (calf) were injured during Thursday’s practice.
- Chiefs HC Andy Reid said of Hill’s injury: “It’s not a big tear or anything like that.”
- Reid added that he expects Hill back to practice in a few days. (Adam Teicher)
- Chiefs S Juan Thornhill said he’s not sure when he’ll be allowed to participate in team drills after being activated from the PUP list earlier this week. Thornhill did say that he remained positive during rehab after ACL surgery after Tyrann Mathieu told him how important that was for him during his ACL rehabs. (Adam Teicher)