“It hurts him not to be around there because if you can be around your teammates, that can help you keep a positive attitude, and that definitely helps,’’ Mayfield said, via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer. “So that’s tough to hear.’’
- According to BrownsZone.com’s Scott Petrak, LT Greg Robinson and RG Eric Kush are the two biggest weak links on Cleveland’s offensive line heading into the regular season.
- In addition to the offensive line, Petrak mentions kicker as a weak point for the browns.
- Petrak pegs WR Braxton Miller‘s chances of making the final Browns roster at about 55 percent.
- Petrak named DT Devaroe Lawrence and RB D’Ernest Johnson as his two biggest surprise positive performers.
- A source tells the Miami Herald’s Adam Beasley that the Dolphins players “would revolt” if Miami traded LT Laremy Tunsil for LB Jadeveon Clowney: “The backlash would be amazing. Guys would legit revolt.”
- The Dolphins have told Tunsil they are not actively shopping him, but Houston’s biggest need is for a left tackle.
- Beasley said the Texans would have to include Clowney and multiple premium picks to pry Tunsil away.
- Armando Salguero reports that the Texans are focused on getting Tunsil in a trade for Clowney.
- According to Craig Mish, “the Dolphins are simply trying to maximize a deal for Tunsil to Houston.” Mish says Clowney is involved but it’s just about the return at this point and if the Dolphins get what they’re looking for, a deal is expected.
Patriots RB Sony Michel first made a name for himself back in Georgia for his ability both running and catching the football. During his rookie season, however, Michel was one-dimensional, catching only seven passes. This year, the team and Michel have worked to make that a bigger part of his game.
“Much, much improved,” Patriots RB coach Ivan Fears said via the Boston Globe’s Nora Princiotti. “Much better than he was last year. Last year, I thought it was a lot for him. This year, boy he’s pretty good at it. He’s going to be very good at it, just got to keep him out there.”
- The Athletic’s Nick Underhill says the general consensus around the league is that G Jermaine Eluemunor, just acquired by the Patriots via trade from the Ravens, has a lot of potential and just needs coaching to reach it.
- Patriots OL coach Dante Scarnecchia is widely regarded as the best offensive line coach in the NFL.
- Former Patriots WR Maurice Harris received $79,059 in his injury settlement with New England. (Ben Volin)