- Colts HC Frank Reich said all indications are OT Jared Veldheer will start in the playoffs against the Bills. (George Bremer)
While Jaguars owner Shad Khan didn’t come right out and commit to the Jaguars taking Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence No. 1 overall, he did confirm the team would take a quarterback with that pick.
“What’s evaded the history of the Jags, really, has been a franchise quarterback,” Khan said via Pro Football Talk. “We have the ability now to make a choice and it’s going to define the franchise moving forward.”
- Khan said he would make it clear he has final say over the roster: “I kept the roster control and the candidates, the general manager candidates, I’ve been talking to them, that for the immediate future I’m going to keep the roster control. And I want the coach to know that also.”
- He clarified a little what he meant, via Ben Murphy: “The roster control is, you don’t want players going in and out or contracts given until you’re aware of that.”
- The AP’s Mark Long says Khan intends to have both the head coach and general manager report to him.
- Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline reports Jaguars interim GM Trent Baalke is the driving force behind Jacksonville’s interest in former Ohio State HC Urban Meyer. The two have a relationship from when Baalke was scouting QB Alex Smith for the 49ers. Smith played for Meyer at Utah.
- While Meyer has retired from his past two major college head coaching jobs ostensibly due to stress and health, Pauline says there’s some thought the NFL would be easier for him without having to deal with the 24/7 recruiting cycle.
- Khan claimed Monday he hasn’t discussed the head coaching vacancy with Meyer yet. (Long)
- He plans to ask the new head coach to consider retaining some members of the former coaching staff: “We have some good ones.” (Long)
2020 was a miserable year for the Texans and QB Deshaun Watson. While Watson was individually brilliant and had his best season as a pro, Houston as a whole was awful due to all of the turmoil from firing HC/GM Bill O’Brien. Two new individuals will be coming in soon to fill both those positions and Watson says they’re needed to start rebuilding the team from the ground up.
“It just starts with the energy and just the foundation of this program,” Watson said via James Palmer of NFL Media. “There’s no real foundation in view. Everyone sees it. Everyone knows that. Got to have a guy that can come in and stand strong, stand 10 toes down and, [say], ‘Hey, this is the way it’s going to go, and this is the way we’re going to win.’ That’s what we need. It’s kind of just up in the air right now. That’s what I’m looking forward to, some disciplined responsibility and some good, fun energy that cares about winning championships and winning games but at the same time is coming in to work each and every day regardless.”
- NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo reports the search firm assisting the Texans with their head coach and general manager search is strongly behind Seahawks executive Trent Kirchner as a candidate. Houston has requested an interview with Kirchner.
- Watson has lobbied for OC Tim Kelly to remain on staff under the new head coach: “Most definitely. Tim has taken my game to a whole nother level. His knowledge about the game of football is very bright.” (Aaron Wilson)
- Watson reiterated the need for a culture shift under the next regime: “There’s too many different minds, too many people that think they have this power, and it’s not like that.” (Aaron Reiss)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!