Per the Athletic’s Zak Keefer, Colts owner Jim Irsay said he plans to sign GM Chris Ballard to an extension sometime in the next few months.
2021 is the final year of Ballard’s deal but Irsay wants to keep him and HC Frank Reich together for a while.
“Chris will be here, and Frank will be here. You don’t take those two for granted. … I firmly believe in Chris and Frank, and I believe they haven’t hit their prime yet. You have to learn on the job. Another few years, and they’ll both be in their primes,” Ballard said.
- Reich said S Khari Willis is still in the concussion protocol but is making progress. (Kevin Bowen)
- After coming out of retirement yet again to play, Colts OT Jared Veldheer said he’ll try to do a better job of setting expectations: “I’ve decided to just eliminate that word from my vocabulary at this point in time.” (George Bremer)
- NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport disputes the report that former Ohio State HC Urban Meyer is looking for $12 million a year to coach the Jaguars.
- Jaguars activated OL Ben Bartch from the COVID-19 list. (NFLTR)
- Jaguars waived P Dustin Colquitt.
- Adam Schefter of ESPN and Chris Mortensen are reporting that Patriots’ Director of Player Personnel Nick Caserio is in Houston to interview for the Texans’ GM job.
- A source tells ESPN that the meeting between Houston and Caserio has “real promise.”
- The Texans previously attempted to hire Caserio back in 2019, but were blocked by New England.
- Jason La Canfora adds that the odds of Caserio being back in New England are “slim to none.”