Though the Colts designated WR Devin Funchess to return from injured reserve, Indianapolis won’t end up activating the veteran receiver to the roster. Funchess broke his collarbone in Week 1 and the injury still has not healed enough for him to suit up and play.
“We were just more surprised that it didn’t heal faster,” Colts HC Frank Reich said via 1075TheFan’s Kevin Bowen. “When we got the results back and looked at the results, it was like, ‘Wow.’ It wasn’t a hard decision because it wasn’t even close to where it needed to be.”
- The Colts are hopeful WR T.Y. Hilton will be able to return this season from his calf strain. (Mike Chappell)
- Reich is optimistic Colts second-round rookie WR Parris Campbell can return this week but until they see him at practice they can’t be certain: “Until you get out there and practice, especially for a younger guy, we need to see it…”(Stephen Holder)
Jets QB Sam Darnold left Sunday’s loss to the Bengals with a noticeable limp due to what was later identified as a left knee injury. It’s the latest addition to what is already a fairly lengthy medical chart for Darnold in 2019, as he missed a handful of games early in the season with mono, had a toenail removed following a Monday night loss to the Patriots and sprained his thumb a few weeks ago. However, Darnold says this injury shouldn’t cause him to miss any time.
“I just got stepped on, I guess,” Darnold said via Brian Costello of the New York Post. “I honestly don’t even really know what happened. I’m not concerned at all.”
- ESPN’s Rich Cimini expects the Jets to consider parting ways with RB Le’Veon Bell this offseason, potentially to reinvest in the offensive line.
- Darnold is also dealing with bruised ribs, per Jets HC Adam Gase. (Manish Mehta)
- Gase told reporters Jets S Jamal Adams is week-to-week with an ankle sprain and the team wants to make sure he’s “good to go” before he returns to the field. (Connor Hughes)
- Jets CB Arthur Maulet is week-to-week with a calf strain. (Hughes)
- Jets CB Brian Poole is in the concussion protocol. (Hughes)
- Gase said Jets DL Steve McLendon is “banged up all over the place.” (Hughes)
- According to NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport, Patriots C Ted Karras is believed to have suffered a sprained MCL in Sunday night’s loss to the Texans.
- Rapoport says the hope is that Karras will be able to return to action soon.