- Regarding Colts LB Darius Leonard and RT Braden Smith‘s looming contract extensions, owner Jim Irsay said they would “really like” to get deals done with both players but it must work for all parties: “It takes two to tango and there’s a compromising aspect (at play) … we really would like to get it done with Darius and Braden.” (Zak Keefer)
- As for the Colts’ defense, Irsay believes they’ve built a “really, really special” group: “When I look at that defense…I see a really, really special defense.” (Kevin Bowen)
- Irsay said he has no reason to doubt Colts’ new QB Carson Wentz: “There’s every reason to believe he’s going to be a great player.”
Texans CBs coach Dino Vasso said they want CB Desmond King to create more turnovers similar to when he recorded four interceptions over the course of 2017-2018.
“Again, he’s a guy that’s put himself around the football a lot in his career,” Vasso said, via Aaron Wilson of Sportstalk790. “I think he has to take advantage of the opportunities when they present themselves. He’s been around the football the past two years. I think early in his career he was taking advantage of those opportunities. We have to get back to that. Again, he’s a guy that has a knack for the football and he finds his way to get around the football.”
Vasso said they want to put King in a “competitive environment” and situations to make plays.
“Just putting him in those situations and creating those competitive environments within practice,” Vasso said. “Obviously, that’s something that we hang our hat on, is creating a competitive culture within practice every day. Obviously he’s someone who’s taken advantage of those plays early in his career and he did it a little bit last year as well. Something that he can do and we’re confident he’s going to do in the future.”
Vasso expects King to line up in their nickel role and also praised his versatility to cover outside.
“Desmond has played inside,” Vasso said. “He’s going to play a little bit inside for us as well, then he’s played on the back end as well. Versatile player that we’re going to use appropriately”
- Jim Wyatt of the team’s official site names several players he wants to see “step-up” in the Titans’ training camp, including QB Ryan Tannehill, RB Derrick Henry, WR Julio Jones, TE Anthony Firkser, OL Taylor Lewan, DL Jeffery Simmons, EDGE Bud Dupree, ILB Rashaan Evans, CB Caleb Farley, and S Kevin Byard.
- Wyatt writes that Titans’ undrafted rookies TE Briley Moore, DL Naquan Jones, and RB Mekhi Sargent are players who have “stood out” thus far this offseason.
- Wyatt points out that Titans CB Breon Borders is considered a player on the roster bubble given the organization added first-round CB Caleb Farley, third-round CB Elijah Molden and veteran CB Janoris Jenkins, while CB Kristian Fulton is now recovered from a knee injury.