- Per ESPN’s Cameron Wolfe, Dolphins HC Brian Flores says WR Preston Williams is on a load management plan as he returns from a torn ACL.
- Flores said Dolphins first-round QB Tua Tagovailoa has been up and down to start his first NFL training camp: “Some good, some bad. Lots to improve upon. Some good throws, some good decisions, some throws that aren’t so good, some not-so-good decisions. We’re evaluating all the quarterbacks. A lot of improvement needs to be made, but I’m pleased with all of our quarterbacks.” (Barry Jackson)
- Dolphins 2019 third-round G Michael Deiter has been working at center some but has struggled with his snaps on a number of occasions. (Adam Beasley)
- Dolphins first-round CB Noah Igbinoghene appears to be the favorite to start outside until Xavien Howard comes back, while fourth-round G Solomon Kindley appears to be in the lead to start at right guard.
- Beasley also notes Dolphins first-round OT Austin Jackson appears to be someone the coaching staff wants to win the job at left tackle ahead of Julie’n Davenport.
- Dolphins WR Isaiah Ford has bulked up to 200 pounds in anticipation of a bigger role in 2020. (Josh Tolentino)
Jets second-round WR Denzel Mims is going on his second week of missed action following a hamstring injury. The rookie is missing key developmental time considering the compressed nature of training camp this year but Jets HC Adam Gase said there’s only so much they can do with a hamstring injury.
“It’s one of those injuries, it’s hard to rush when it’s a guy that his whole job is to run,” Gase said via NJ.com’s Chris Ryan. “And we just got to make sure that we get him healthy enough so we get them in the offense, get him practicing against the defense and see how far we can get him before the season starts.”
- Per Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News, Jets 2019 first-round DT Quinnen Williams dropped from 303 to 297 pounds as he worked this offseason on radically reshaping his body: “I transformed my whole body. I got a whole new diet… I definitely got a whole new mindset on food and a whole new mindset on nutrition.”
- Jets OT Connor McDermott suffered a knee injury and is having an MRI to determine the severity. (Connor Hughes)
- The Jets have continued to hold CB Brian Poole out of practice due to dehydration, which was also an issue last year. (Ralph Vacchiano)
- Per NBC Sports’ Phil Perry, Patriots HC Bill Belichick didn’t rule out the idea of platooning at quarterback between Cam Newton, Jarrett Stidham and Brian Hoyer: “I always say I’ll do what’s best for the team, what gives us the best chance to win. Whatever that is, I would certainly consider that…If it helps us win, I would consider anything.”
- The three have had almost exactly equal reps so far during camp in an open competition for the starting job. Stidham was viewed as the favorite before Newton was signed but ESPN’s Chris Mortensen says not to rule out Hoyer given his experience in the scheme.
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes it appears Patriots LB coaches Jerod Mayo and Steve Belichick will serve as co-defensive coordinators this year, though New England hasn’t made an official announcement.
- While Patriots second-round LB Josh Uche was more of an edge player in college, Breer thinks the Patriots could move him to inside linebacker given their need and their past history with similar players.