New Browns DC Joe Woods said that they will continue to use a 4-3 base defense for the upcoming season.
“I know the personnel here is tailored toward a 4-3 scheme, which I’m very comfortable with,” said Woods about retaining the scheme, per Nate Ulrich. “We’ll stay with the 4-3 system here and focus on putting the guys in the right positions to make plays.”
- Alex Marvez reports that new Browns defensive coordinator Joe Woods will bring at least one assistant with him to Cleveland from San Francisco.
- Chris Kiffin was the 49ers’ pass rush coach last season, and will now serve as the defensive line coach in Cleveland.
- The Browns also hired Jason Tarver as LBs coach. (NFLTR)
- Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that the Browns have hired former Broncos QB coach T.C. McCartney as an offensive assistant.
- While Jim Wyatt of the team’s official site expects the Titans to be active in the free-agent market, he mentions that Tennessee’s largest priority this offseason is to re-sign their own players.
- Wyatt does not think the Titans will be in the market for Cowboys’ impending free-agent WR Amari Cooper should he be available.
- As for the Titans’ offensive line, Wyatt believes their front office is interested in re-signing OT Dennis Kelly to an extension.
- Wyatt feels that the Titans’ top priority this offseason is signing an edge rusher, though Tennessee’s needs may change based on which players they’re able to re-sign.
- Wyatt does not expect the Titans to re-sign QB Marcus Mariota, given that he would like to compete for a starting role elsewhere.