- Barry Jackson and Armando Salguero of the Miami Herald report the Dolphins have not eliminated themselves from the running in any potential trade for Texans QB Deshaun Watson.
- They add Miami is continuing to do due diligence on whether or not trading for Watson is realistic. A second source tells them the Dolphins privately conveyed an interest in Watson this spring.
- In other news, Jackson and Salguero write that Dolphins CB Xavien Howard has been strongly considering reporting to training camp this week.
- While Howard remains unhappy with his contract, the source, an associate of Howard’s, says he understands he doesn’t have a ton of leverage with four years left on his deal and the mandatory $50,000 in daily fines for skipping camp is a major deterrent.
- SNY’s Ralph Vacchiano says the Jets are enamored with WR Keelan Cole and believe he’s a free-agent steal. He expects them to slot Cole in as the other starting outside receiver across from Corey Davis.
- Vacchiano adds Jets second-round WR Elijah Moore and Jamison Crowder should split time in the slot to begin the season but ultimately the Jets love Moore and see him as the future of the position.
- Although the Jets didn’t land veteran QB Brian Hoyer as a backup, Vacchiano points out he’s far from a roster lock with the Patriots and could still end up in New York.
- According to Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio, multiple current teammates believe Patriots QB Cam Newton isn’t the same player he used to be, which Florio says could signal the locker room is open to him being beaten for the starting job by first-round QB Mac Jones.
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!