Colts GM Chris Ballard said the team is “working back in” Andrew Luck to practice after missing all of spring camp due to a calf injury.
“Just working him back in. He didn’t do anything this spring, but making sure…we don’t want him to get out here and have a setback,” said Ballard, via Kevin Bowen of 1070 TheFan. “We are so process oriented. If we’ve learned anything since I’ve walked in the door with the first injury he had, let’s just make sure we are taking the right steps. We are getting ready to play the Chargers (in Week One on September 8). That’s our mindset right now, making sure we are taking all the right steps with all these guys.”
- Ballard says the team will limit Luck, WR Deon Cain, S Clayton Geathers, TE Jack Doyle, TE Ross Travis and DE Carroll Phillips during the first seven to ten days of camp as the group recovers from injuries. (Kevin Bowen)
- Luck did individual drills, but no 11-on-11 work in the Colts’ first practice. (Mike Chappell)
- According to the Athletic’s Stephen Holder, the Colts aren’t inclined to trade backup QB Jacoby Brissett, and even if they were the trade market for Brissett was surprisingly weak.
- Holder mentions undrafted free agent TE Hale Hentges could stick in a hybrid tight end/fullback role.
- Per ESPN’s Michael DiRocco, Jaguars HC Doug Marrone says he’s been in touch with DE Yannick Ngakoue, adding he expects him to report at some point.
- Ngakoue must report at least 30 days before the first game in order to progress his contract towards free agency.
- Jaguars fifth-round RB Ryquell Armstead will not start camp on the PUP list, as there was a misread with his GPS conditioning tracker. (Phillip Heilman)
- Jaguars LB Jake Ryan suffered a setback during the summer, which is why he’s starting camp on the NFI list. (Heilman)
- Marrone said the team wasn’t sure exactly when Ryan would be able to come back. (Heilman)
- Texans WR Will Fuller practiced at the start of training camp for Houston after missing a chunk of last season with a torn ACL. (Aaron Wilson)
- Texans OT Matt Kalil also practiced after missing offseason drills. Kalil was sidelined the entire 2018 season with the Panthers. (Wilson)
- The Texans also activated DE J.J. Watt from the PUP list and he practiced with the team Thursday. (Houston Chronicle)
- Texans WR Isaac Whitney was carted off holding his hand after landing on it during a drill. (Wilson)
- Regarding franchise OLB Jadeveon Clowney, HC Bill O’Brien said he’s ready to have him back: “I can tell you unequivocally that we want J.D. here. … The sooner the better. We want him.” (Sarah Barshop)
- O’Brien added S Justin Reid isn’t expected to be out long following his car accident. (Wilson)
Titans’ veteran TE Delanie Walker said he was never concerned about being medically cleared prior to the start of training camp.
“I mean, I had a lot of doubters but if I tell you one thing, I’m telling you the truth. I knew where I was going to be at when that time came and everyone else just didn’t believe it,” said Walker, via Turron Davenport.