- Colts CB T.J. Carrie‘s one-year, $1.0475 million deal includes a 137,500 signing bonus and a $910,000 base salary with $162,500 fully guaranteed. (Adam Caplan)
- The Athletic’s Sheil Kapadia outlines a potential trade of Jaguars DE Yannick Ngakoue to the Giants in exchange for two second-round picks in 2020 and 2021.
- While the Jaguars have been asking for a first-round pick like what the Chiefs gave to acquire DE Frank Clark last year, Kansas City gave up the No. 29 pick and New York’s second-rounder is No. 36 overall.
- The Giants would also have to rescind the transition tag on DL Leonard Williams to accommodate Ngakoue.
- Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer writes the Jaguars have also kicked around the idea of trading down in the draft.
- Because past familiarity with coaches and schemes will be crucial in a year with no offseason programs and perhaps limited practice time in training camp, Breer says Bengals QB Andy Dalton would make sense as a backup in Jacksonville because of his history with OC Jay Gruden. However, the Jaguars have shown little interest in that so far.
- Auburn DL Marlon Davidson had a pre-draft meeting with the Jaguars over video conference. (Justin Melo)
The backlash against the Texans for trading away WR DeAndre Hopkins has been nearly unanimous across the football world. Even those who understand and even agree with Texans HC Bill O’Brien‘s rationale are baffled at how little Houston got back for one of the best receivers in football. When other receivers went for first-round picks, Hopkins fetched just a second-round pick and RB David Johnson who struggled with a back injury in 2019 and had a contract the Cardinals were trying to unload. O’Brien made his first public explanation of the deal in a town hall with season-ticket holders.
“He had three years left on his deal and he wanted a raise. And we weren’t going to be able to go in that direction,” O’Brien said via Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer. “We felt like we had a great offer from Arizona that involved picks. That involved an excellent three-down running back who is hungry and humble and just can’t wait to get started. David Johnson is going to be a great addition to our football team. There’s a lot of things that go into trades. Lot of thoughts that go in. How much are you going to take on contractually? How much does it take to buy that second-round pick, that No. 40 pick? What type of player are you bringing in? What type of player are you losing and what is in the best interest of the team?”
- Pro Football Talk’s Mike Florio points out neither Hopkins nor Johnson has technically passed a physical yet, meaning the trade being voided isn’t yet out of the question.
- Texans WR Kenny Stills asked on Twitter for fans to try to be positive going into a new season: “We’re all going to miss HOP. But it’s gunna be crucial for us as a team and fan base to move forward. Negativity won’t get us anywhere.”
- Texans S Justin Reid said of his surgically repaired shoulder will hold up going into next season: “My shoulder has been doing great.” (Aaron Wilson)
- Auburn DL Marlon Davidson had a pre-draft meeting with the Titans over video conference. (Justin Melo)
- Nebraska DL Darrion Daniels did drills for the Titans after his pro day on March 12. (Justin Melo)