Colts second-round WR Parris Campbell‘s hype was poised to rocket into the stratosphere when the rookie suffered a hamstring injury in training camp. Four weeks later after finally recovering, Campbell saw some action in the Colts’ fourth preseason game and started to build progress again.
“It was a lot of fun. I felt like myself again,” Campbell said via Jake Arthur of the team’s official website. “Being out with the injury obviously was very nagging, very annoying. But I definitely felt like myself again, and it was a lot of fun.”
Per the Houston Chronicle’s Aaron Wilson, Texans HC Bill O’Brien said the team’s discussions about trading LB Jadeveon Clowney are “about what’s best for your team from value standpoint.” O’Brien is referring not just to the return Clowney would bring in a trade, but Houston’s decision to shop Clowney in the first place.
“It’s not a matter of want, it’s a matter of difference of opinion on value relative to the contract,” O’Brien said via Wilson. “It has nothing to do with want. This is where the business end of things comes in.”
- O’Brien added regarding Clowney: “Any time he wants to sign the tender, we can talk.” (Wilson)
- O’Brien said there’s still a chance WR Keke Coutee could play in Houston’s Monday-night opener against the Saints: “I think Keke is trending in the right direction, still not sure about the first game. I think I was unequivocal at banquet about him not playing. I can change my mind.” (Wilson)
- O’Brien expects WR Will Fuller to play Week 1: “He’s had a good camp.” (Wilson)
- Texans LB Brennan Scarlett‘s one-year extension includes a $375,000 signing bonus, a $1.525 million roster bonus due on Friday and a $7,285 workout bonus. (Wilson)
- Scarlett will make a $1.125 million base salary plus $750,000 total in per-game active roster bonuses in 2020. Scarlett gets $1.875 million total guaranteed.
- Texans QB Joe Webb is expected to land on injured reserve following his foot injury. (Ian Rapoport)
- Meanwhile, backup QB A.J. McCarron is expected to be ready to play after suffering a thumb injury earlier this summer.
- The team could sign another quarterback to replace Webb. (Wilson)
- Texans third-round rookie TE Kahale Warring remains in the concussion protocol and is expected to go on injured reserve. (Wilson)
- Per the Nashville Tennesseean’s Erik Bacharach, Titans HC Mike Vrabel said first-round DT Jeffery Simmons is much further along in his recovery from a torn ACL in February than the average person would be: “His progression has been really, really good.”
- Right now, Vrabel says Titans G Kevin Pamphile is the starter at right guard: “As it stood today, that’s where we were…There’s versatility there. He’s good in pass protection.” (Bacharach)
- Titans LB Reggie Gilbert passed his physical following his trade from the Packers. (Turron Davenport)