- Per Larry Mayer, Bears HC Matt Nagy announced that K Eddy Pineiro would be the team’s kicker for the season opener on Thursday against the Packers: “He deserves it. He earned every right to be our kicker.”
- Brad Biggs mentions that Bears TE Trey Burton did not practice during the portion open to the media it appears as “less likely” that he’ll suit up for Thursday’s game.
- Bears officially signed 10 players to their practice squad. (NFLTR)
- According to ESPN’s Michael Rothstein, the Lions have $50,000 in dead money as the result of a grievance from former DE Robert Ayers. Ayers was with the Lions for one day and one practice in 2018.
- Tom Pelissero reports that the Lions intend to re-sign veteran TE Logan Thomas, despite releasing him on Sunday.
- Lions officially signed 10 players to their practice squad. (NFLTR)
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers offered some insight into his retirement plans on Friday.
“Yeah, win the Super Bowl when I’m 45 and ride off into the sunset,” Rodgers joked during an appearance on The Rich Eisen Show.
Rodgers added that, just like former Colts QB Andrew Luck, his decision on when to retire will come down to how his body feels and how much he still has the passion for the game to get through the daily rigors of playing in the NFL.
“We’ll see,” Rodgers said, via the Green Bay Press Gazette. “I envision playing as long as my body feels good and I have the love for the game that I do right now that still fuels me and is still a passion. And I still love the daily grind and the practice and the preparation. If I can give everything to a team in that manner and my body feels good, I’m going to keep rolling.”
- According to ESPN’s Rob Demovsky, the Packers did not approach K Mason Crosby about restructuring his contract.
- Crosby beat out Sam Ficken for the starting job entering the final year of his deal. He’s set to earn a $3.2 million base salary and up to $250,000 in per-game roster bonuses.
- The Packers plan to keep undrafted rookie free agent LB Greg Roberts on the PUP list to start the season. (Demovsky)
- Packers GM Brian Gutekunst said of the decision to waive QB DeShone Kizer and keeping Tim Boyle: “I think Tim performed better in the preseason games when it mattered.” (Matt Schneidman)
- Regarding ILB Oren Burks, Gutekunst said he could be back “soon.” (Ryan Wood)
- Gutekunst made it clear that they view WR Equanimeous St. Brown as part of their young core: “He’s part of our future, he’s part of our team. I thought it was important that we took care of him.” (Ryan Wood)
- Packers officially signed 10 players to their practice squad. (NFLTR)
- According to Tom Pelissero, the Vikings placed TE David Morgan on the reserve/PUP list, which will keep him out at least six games.
- Vikings officially signed eight players to their practice squad. (NFLTR)