49ers’ CB Richard Sherman knows that there is a lot on the line for the team this year and says that neither he nor his teammates are willing to discount last season’s experiences.
“I think going to the Super Bowl and having that expectation this year and having that goal at the forefront and having that sour taste in their minds is going to discipline them in a way that few other things can,” Sherman told Matt Barrows of The Athletic. “That’s why you play the game.”
Sherman also mentioned that CB K’waun Williams has not gotten the respect that he deserves playing nickel corner and impacting the run game on a tough San Francisco defense.
“That’s the thing that separates him the most,” Sherman said of Williams’ run-stopping ability. “That’s why we speak so highly of him. Because it’s not just being able to cover. There are tons of nickels who are great in pass coverage. But there are very few who impact the run game in the way he does. That’s what makes him the best nickel in football, and that’s the part of his game that’s so underrated that nobody ever even gives him credit for. And they should.”
- According to Field Yates, the 49ers placed a waiver claim for FB John Lovett on Thursday, but Green Bay had the higher priority.
Cardinals’ first-round LB Isaiah Simmons said his goal for 2020 is to make as big of an impact as possible.
“I’m not going to come out here and say I want to be Defensive Rookie of the Year,” Simmons said, via Darren Urban of the team’s official site. “That would be great and all, but I believe if I come out there and play, everything will fall in place. My biggest goal is to just make as big of an impact as I can for this organization.”
Simmons mentioned that he doesn’t expect to play the large number of roles he did during college at Clemson.
“Everybody is paid to do their job out here, so I don’t know if I’m necessarily needed to do everything I did in college,” Simmons said.
As for his playing style, Simmons said he is not a “traditional linebacker” given he played defensive back in college.
“I wouldn’t really call myself a traditional linebacker,” Simmons said.
- Michael-Shawn Dugar of The Athletic believes that QB Geno Smith will win the backup quarterback spot due to experience and that rookie QB Anthony Gordon will likely be relegated to the practice squad.
- Dugar writes that among the team’s tight ends, Luke Willson will likely be the odd man out despite the fact that this will likely be the last season for TE Greg Olsen.
- According to Dugar, Seattle may also be willing to move on from WR David Moore if they are able to bring back WR Josh Gordon at a cheaper price.
- Dugar believed that G Chance Warmack had a chance to make the Seahawks roster due to a lack of depth on the offensive line. However, Warmack chose to opt-out of the 2020 season.
- As for the defensive line, Dugar thinks the team would benefit from adding a low-cost veteran such as DT Damon Harrison via free agency.
- Dugar is of the mindset that the starters alongside newly acquired SS Jamal Adams should be FS Marquise Blair, CB Tre Flowers, CB Shaq Griffin, and DB Quandre Diggs as a slot defender.