- Per NBC Sports’ Matt Maiocco, 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan said QB Jimmy Garoppolo essentially has a new high-ankle sprain on the same foot that’s worse than the last one. He might even need surgery.
- NFL Media’s Mike Garafolo says the current plan is for Garoppolo to rest and rehab to try and return in the four to six-week timeline.
- 49ers GM John Lynch commented on the team’s decision to trade LB Kwon Alexander: “Kwon’s time with our team might not have been long but it was very impactful. A tremendous teammate, his non-stop motor, ferocious play and selfless nature helped establish a standard for our locker room that will carry on.” (Maiocco)
- Shanahan said RB Tevin Coleman will miss more time after reinjuring his knee this past week. (Nick Wagoner)
- 49ers TE Jordan Reed will be limited in practice and could potentially play Thursday against the Packers. (Wagoner)
- Rams’ HC Sean McVay addressed the fact that he would like to get rookie RB Cam Akers more carries but adds that his rib injury has put a slight hitch in his development with things such as ball protection. (Jourdan Rodrigue)
Seahawks’ HC Pete Carroll has nothing but praise for TE/DE Stephen Sullivan, who has started out on the team’s practice squad.
“He’s such a good athlete,’’ Carroll said, via Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times. “He was willing to change from playing tight end to go rush the passer in the middle of his rookie season. It’s just a great team move that he made because we needed his help. And today he got to play. He missed some opportunities, some assignments in some of the things. It was a complex game plan, which didn’t help him so much. But he played hard. For his first time, he did fine.”
Sullivan added that while he hasn’t played defensive end since high school, he is willing to play any position in order to be part of the team.
“I went over there and I didn’t know any moves, technique, how to use your hands or anything,’’ Sullivan said. “I was just running up the field trying to get past the tackle, and it didn’t work. So I started to get better and I started working my hands. And then next thing you know, I’m here today. I’m willing to do whatever it takes to win, honestly. I’m a team player so if coach Pete wants me to kick the ball, then I’ll kick the ball.’’
- ESPN’s Brady Henderson says Seahawks WR Phillip Dorsett had surgery on his foot to clear out some bone spurs and it’s unclear if he’ll be able to make it back this season.
- Carroll mentioned DT Damon Harrison has been working hard and just needed a little time to get in better shape for football. (Condotta)
- The plan for RB Chris Carson is to test his foot on Friday and see how the injury responds on Saturday. As far as getting RB Carlos Hyde back from a hamstring injury, Carroll says: “It’s hard to get that done in a couple of weeks time.” (John Boyle)
- Carroll was not upbeat about the possibility of DB Ugo Amadi returning from a pesky hamstring injury this week. He also said that DE Benson Mayowa is “really determined” to play and thinks that he will. (Brady Henderson)
- Carroll spoke about DE Carlos Dunlap, noting that he can enter the facility on Tuesday and practice on Wednesday. The team currently has a roster spot open for him following the suspension of DE Damontre Moore. (Henderson)
- The team is still bringing G Mike Iupati back slowly and Carroll adds that the play of G Jordan Simmons allows the team time to get Iupati back to one hundred percent health. (Curtis Crabtree)