49ers HC Kyle Shanahan believes that their matchups have contributed to QB Nick Mullens‘ struggles this season.
“You look at the Green Bay game and a number of others,” Shanahan said. “And this one (against the Rams) is going to be tough, too. Any time you put a quarterback in there who hasn’t had two weeks in a row with the same group of receivers… And the same thing with the running backs and O-line. So I think that’s been a huge challenge for Nick.”
Mullens feels he has done well at limiting turnovers as the 49ers’ starting quarterback.
“For me, if I protect the football, I think I’m a pretty darn good quarterback and that’s really what matters most,” Mullens said. “And so I’d like to improve on that after these past couple of games. But other than that, just stick to my reads, stick to my progressions and be accurate. I’ve had some good plays. I’ve had had some bad plays. But you just keep working along and continue to work and execute at a high level.”
Shanahan said Mullens has been “really solid” since stepping in for Jimmy Garoppolo but they must “play better around him” in order to win.
“I think (Mullens has) been a really solid guy for us,” Shanahan said. “He gives us a chance to win, but we’ve got to play better around him in order for him to play to his full ability. We’ve got to have a chance to play better around him with getting a little bit more continuity here in the last six games.”
- The Los Angeles Rams announced that practice squad DB Tyrique McGhee has been suspended for two weeks without pay after violating the NFL’s policy on Performance-Enhancing Substances.
- McGhee will be eligible for reinstatement from suspension after Week 13.
- Seahawks’ S Jamal Adams has basically been playing with one-arm due to a shoulder injury. Adams, who has said that he will do whatever it takes to play, said the injury occurred in Week 10 against the Rams when he was “playing with terrible technique and got slammed.” (Brady Henderson)
- Seahawks’ OC Brian Schottenheimer mentioned how well rookie G Damien Lewis did when asked to play center: “What we asked him to do on a short week in the National Football League against a defense that does as much as Arizona did, I thought he did tremendously. I can’t think of many guys that could pull that off.” (Curtis Crabtree)
- Seahawks HC Pete Carroll confirmed that Cedric Ogbuehi will be stepping in for Brandon Shell at right tackle this week. (Curtis Crabtree)
- Carroll said that RB Rashaad Penny will return to practice next week.
- As for Darrell Taylor, Carroll mentioned that the final meeting with doctors is early next week so there won’t be an update until then. (Curtis Crabtree)
- The Seahawks are working out DT Myles Kidsey. (Aaron Wilson)