The 49ers sustained a number of injuries during Thursday’s preseason game to players including TE George Kittle (shoulder), RB Matt Breida (shoulder), LB Malcolm Smith (hamstring), DL Solomon Thomas (concussion), OT Garry Gilliam (concussion), and LB Eli Harold (knee).
49ers HC Kyle Shanahan admitted that it’s scary to see injuries add up like this in the preseason.
“It’s what scares you about training camp, it’s what scares you about the preseason,” Shanahan said. “Kinda just want the game to end when those things start happening, because you want those guys when the season starts.
“But we also need to practice to get better, so it’s just something you’ve gotta deal with, it’s part of this business.”
- Herbie Teope reports that Saints CB P.J. Williams suffered a bruised rib and is expected to be out for a week.
- Nick Underhill reports that Mitchell Loewen is battling a minor injury, but should be back in a few days.
- Saints waived G John Fullington from injured reserve with a settlement. (NFLTR)
Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times has an updated 53-man roster projection up for the Seahawks following their first preseason game.
- Condotta has the Seahawks keeping five running backs on their active roster including Chris Carson, Rashaad Penny, C.J. Prosise, Mike Davis, and J.D. McKissic.
- At receiver, Condotta has Seattle cutting Tanner McEvoy and Keenan Reynolds among others.
- Condotta projects DE Dion Jordan to open the year on the PUP list.
- Some notable roster cuts include OL Rees Odhiambo, OT Isaiah Battle, CB Neiko Thorpe, CB Mike Tyson, CB Dontae Johnson, K Jason Myers and P Jon Ryan.