- Brad Biggs reports that the Bears have informed strength coach Jason George that he will not return with the team next season.
- Alex Marvez reports that Glenn Pires (LBs) and Roy Anderson (assistant DBs) are both returning to the Bears’ coaching staff for the 2018 season.
- Jourdan Rodrigue of the Charlotte Observer writes that the decision to lock up G Trai Turner and LT Matt Kalil to long-term extensions last year will leave little room for Carolina to also pay free agent G Andrew Norwell.
- Rodrigue mentions that Norwell is a candidate to depart during free agency and one team worth watching for him is the Giants, given his ties to GM Dave Gettleman.
- Another free agent who could be playing elsewhere in 2018, according to Rodrigue is DT Star Lotulelei, as the Panthers have some depth at the position.
- We have Norwell and Lotulelei featured in our Top 100 – 2018 NFL Free Agents list.
- Jason La Canfora spoke with “several” executives and agents around the NFL and none of them expect QB Drew Brees to take a hometown discount to remain in New Orleans.
- La Canfora adds that he still wouldn’t discount the odds of Brees re-signing with the Saints, but it’s going to be costly for them to retain him.
- The sources who spoke to La Canfora estimate that Brees will secure “at least” $75 million over three years with around $50 million guaranteed and that could be conservative.
- Ian Rapoport reports that the Seahawks interviewed DL coach Clint Hurtt for their defensive coordinator job before hiring Ken Norton. Rapoport adds that Hurtt will remain in Seattle for the 2018 season, despite not getting the job.
- According to Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times, the thought around the Seahawks is that QBs coach Carl Smith will remain on the staff in “some capacity“, though his role could change.
- Condotta mentions that Smith will remain the Seahawks’ quarterbacks coach for now.
- Though Seahawks CB Jeremy Lane had a blood-alcohol-content level “well under” the legal limit, he admitted to smoking marijuana before he was pulled over early Sunday morning. (Brady Henderson)
Looking for the latest NFL Insider News & Rumors?
Be sure to follow NFL Trade Rumors on TWITTER and FACEBOOK for breaking NFL News and Rumors for all 32 teams!