- According to the Athletic’s Greg Auman, Buccaneers HC Bruce Arians will be leaned on “heavily” for input into Tampa Bay’s draft strategy.
- Bucs GM Jason Licht says he had a good relationship with WR DeSean Jackson, but also liked some of the wide receivers on the roster and feels the trade worked out for both sides. (Rick Stroud)
- Licht said the team has hopes for QB Jameis Winston, but for now, are in wait-and-see mode before starting extension talks. (Stroud)
- Licht also says the lack of veteran experience in the secondary might have hurt S Justin Evans, who he says took a step back in 2018. (Stroud)
- Licht mentions Lavonte David, Carl Nassib and Jason Pierre-Paul as three linebackers they know work well in a 3-4 defense. He also referenced Noah Spence as a linebacker. (Auman)
- Licht said Tampa Bay wasn’t happy about losing LB Kwon Alexander and WR Adam Humphries, but their hands were tied by the cap: “It always stinks, and it’s sickening sometimes, to lose really good players who your coaches have done a great job of developing … it was really tough decisions.” (Auman)
Lions GM Bob Quinn mentioned that new DE Trey Flowers is a perfect fit for them and a huge free agency win.
“He’s a three-down player with position versatility,” Quinn said via Tim Twentyman. “Affects the quarterback, affects the run game, knows the technique, knows the scheme. There’s not a lot of sure bets in free agency. Certain years you can be more aggressive than others. With the money that we paid those guys, the contracts, speaks to what we think of them and we think they can help us win games, and that’s the bottom line. We want to get as many players into our team and our scheme that can help us win more.”
- Regarding DT Damon Harrison‘s request for a contract extension, Quinn said his first priority is the draft: “It’s something that I got to talk to (agent Drew Rosenhaus) this week, and going into the future. Not something that I need to do right now.
- According to the Detroit Free Press’ Dave Birkett, the Lions tried to trade for CB Rashaan Melvin during the season last year. Melvin came over to the Lions from the Raiders in free agency this year.
- Birkett says WR Marvin Jones‘ salary of $5.6 million means it doesn’t make sense to trade him, but he does wonder about his fit with HC Matt Patricia.
- Quinn said the Lions haven’t made a decision on T Taylor Decker‘s fifth-year option. (Rogers)
- Quinn mentioned that free agent addition CB Justin Coleman would likely play mostly nickel. (Rogers)
- Saints owner Gayle Benson said Monday that she will hire a new GM for the Pelicans and have Mickey Loomis focus exclusively on the Saints moving forward. (Jeff Duncan)