Historically tight ends have not been productive in Arizona and that’s continued to be the case under Cardinals HC Kliff Kingsbury‘s spread offense. However, Kingsbury has made more use of the position than many expected, which made getting TE Maxx Williams back this week a big factor. Williams made his presence felt in the run game and with a short touchdown catch.
“We always have a saying in the tight end room that we are problem solvers,” Williams said via Darren Urban of the team website. “Whatever Kliff wants us to be at, where coaches want us to play, special teams, offense, running, pass-catching, it doesn’t matter. We want to do our part.”
- According to Bleacher Report’s Matt Miller, the 49ers sent top front office evaluator Adam Peters to watch BYU QB Zach Wilson and Alabama QB Mac Jones as San Francisco apparently explores potential alternatives at quarterback.
- The Athletic’s Matt Barrows doesn’t rule out the team adding another quarterback. However, he points out the team’s past actions and comments regarding QB Jimmy Garoppolo indicate they believe he’s someone they can win a Super Bowl with.
- Barrows lists speed rusher and cornerback as the two biggest needs for the team right now, as it’s looking iffy for DE Dee Ford to be back and San Francisco has no cornerbacks under contract in 2021.
- Barrows notes the team hasn’t discussed an extension for FB Kyle Juszczyk yet but he expects that to be on their to-do list this offseason.
- 49ers’ CB Richard Sherman said he could potentially return for their next game against the Saints but added that he will play against the Rams on November 29th in the worst-case scenario. (David Lombardi)
- Seahawks’ DT Bryan Mone‘s suffered a more severe ankle injury while S D.J. Reed and LB K.J. Wright should not miss time with their respective ankle injuries. The injury to Mone means that DT Damon Harrison will likely play next week. (Michael-Shawn Dugar)
- On Harrison’s potential debut, Seahawks HC Pete Carroll said: “He’s available. He’s ready to go … We’ve got to have some more information on Bryan’s situation so we can take care of him, but this is where Snacks would jump up right now. This is what he’s been looking for and preparing for.” (Brady Henderson)
- Carroll said that running backs Carlos Hyde and Chris Carson are working hard in order to make their return this week. (Boyle)
- Carroll also says that DB Ugo Amadi will attempt to return to practice on Wednesday while CB Shaquill Griffin is still not ready to practice. (Crabtree)
- Injured RB Rashaad Penny is working with strength and conditioning coaches in preparation for his return to the field: “It’s just a matter of when they feel and he feels he’s ready to go out there and bang those cuts.” (Crabtree)