- Cardinals HC Kliff Kingsbury said CB Robert Alford “may be” placed in the league’s COVID-19 protocol and missed Wednesday’s practice as a precaution. (Darren Urban)
- 49ers HC Kyle Shanahan said he doesn’t see the benefit of rushing to name the starter between Jimmy Garoppolo and Trey Lance: “What do you gain by naming it? Only one thing comes to mind: ending those questions. … Why tell people? I know you guys want an answer, which is fine, to end the suspense of it. … I’m trying to get you more clicks.” (Cam Inman)
- Shanahan said he has a “pretty good idea” of who the Week 1 starter will be, but things can change: “I’ve got a pretty good idea but as you can see with everything, I don’t know our schedule. There’s lots of days between now and then, at every position… You all have a pretty good idea, and our team does, also.” (Inman)
- Garoppolo also made an appearance at the podium and ducked the question: “Yeah, I have a pretty good idea. It’s whatever he decides. I have a pretty good idea. I’m pretty happy where I’m at and where the offense is as a whole.” (Inman)
Perhaps one of the defining aspects of Rams QB Matthew Stafford‘s career with the Detroit Lions was his grit. Whether it was injuries or overcoming poor teams, Stafford shrugged it all off and still managed to will a ton of personal success and even a few playoff appearances. But facing yet another rebuild, Stafford finally relented and asked for a trade, ending up in Los Angeles where the expectations are sky-high — exactly what he wanted when he asked out of Detroit.
“I just want to play in big games, you know?” Stafford said to ESPN’s Seth Wickersham. “… I want to have opportunities to make big-time plays in the fourth quarter against really good teams, in big moments, rather than a one o’clock game on a Sunday somewhere.”
- Rams GM Les Snead said they have not decided between punters Johnny Hekker or Corey Bojorquez: “That decision’s not made.” (Andrew Siciliano)
- As for the Rams acquiring RB Sony Michel, Snead praised Michel’s cutting and straight-line power running style: “What he does bring is this element of make a cut, get north and south and get north and south with some force. The physics that he brings to the table – let’s call it a flavor of genre that we felt like complemented our group.” (Ed Werder)
- Rams HC Sean McVay said OLB Ogbonnia Okoronkwo sustained a stinger around his shoulder on Tuesday. (Jourdan Rodrigue)
- McVay mentioned that OLB Leonard Floyd (ankle) was given the day off from Tuesday’s practice in order to rest.
- ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler says Seahawks S Quandre Diggs would like an extension but there’s no movement on that subject to report yet.
- Fowler adds the Seahawks are confident they can address things with LT Duane Brown, who also wants a new deal, with a potential one-year extension.
- According to ESPN’s Brady Henderson, Seahawks TE Luke Willson‘s release was his decision after studying the offense’s new system under OC Shane Waldron.
- Henderson adds that Willson’s heart “wasn’t in it” and has other career interests he intends on pursuing.