- Per the Athletic’s Jon Machota, Cowboys VP Stephen Jones is optimistic S Xavier Woods‘ groin injury won’t be serious: “Never felt a pop, never lost strength in it, so overall we feel we’ll get a good report.”
- NFL Media’s Jane Slater says the Cowboys still have not reached out to S Earl Thomas‘ camp.
- She adds if there’s any news on DE Randy Gregory‘s status regarding his suspension, it’s expected to come in mid-September.
- NJ.com’s Mike Kaye writes it’s unlikely if not impossible the Eagles will be a fit for former Jaguars RB Leonard Fournette.
- Kaye cites Fournette’s ineffectiveness, maturity issues, price tag and durability questions as reasons the Eagles will likely roll with their own running backs.
- NJ.com’s Matt Lombardo says he was told the Giants were never involved in trade discussions with the Jaguars for DE Yannick Ngakoue.
- The Athletic’s Dan Duggan notes fifth-round OL Shane Lemieux has looked good enough that it raises the possibility of the Giants cutting G Kevin Zeitler in 2021 to avoid a $14.5 million cap hit.
When Washington drafted RB Antonio Gibson in the third round, the team had already signed a number of backs in free agency to go with a full roster at the position. But partially due to attrition on the depth chart and partially due to Gibson’s versatility and dynamic play-making ability, the rookie has seen a heavy dose of work at training camp so far.
“Definitely more than I expected coming in as a rookie. I always expect to play no matter where I go, but sometimes you’ve got to work your way to that,” Gibson said via NBC Sports’ Ethan Cadeaux. “I’ve been getting a lot of reps. I don’t know if that’s just a rookie thing with them throwing reps at me, but that just shows that they see something in me.”
- NBC Sports’ JP Finlay expects Washington to look for help at offensive tackle and tight end after final cuts this weekend.
- An NFL personnel evaluator mentioned Washington as a potential destination for former Jaguars RB Leonard Fournette. (Jason La Canfora)
- Even though Washington QB Dwayne Haskins has taken all the first-team reps, HC Ron Rivera wouldn’t commit to naming a starter before Week 1. (John Keim)
- He also hedged when asked if QB Alex Smith would start the season on the active roster: “Well, we like what Alex has been doing, we like the growth we’ve seen. And as we progress with about a week to go before we start really gearing up for the opener, we’ll continue to work with him.” (Nicki Jhabvala)
- Washington first-round DE Chase Young said his hip is at about “97 percent.” (Jhabvala)