Cowboys HC Mike McCarthy believes DC Mike Nolan is still the right man for the job because the coaching staff still needs to gain experience together.
“I think our staff as a whole is not where we need to be. And that’s ultimately my responsibility…There is not a lot of continuity between coaches because most of us have not worked together before,” said McCarthy, via Jon Machota.
Cowboys’ owner Jerry Jones said he would like to re-approach how their defense was handled this season.
“I will say this, like anybody, you got a lot of do-overs, I’d like to start again on how we approach our defense this year. I’d like to start that over again. I’d start right there the first day,” said Jones, via Machota.
McCarthy did not rule out OL Zack Martin (calf) potentially returning from injured reserve this season.
“He’s getting better. He is here every day. He’s in all of the meetings, so we’ll see what the future brings,” said McCarthy, via Michael Gehlken.
- Michael Gehlken reports that Cowboys’ CB Chidobe Awuzie did not test positive for COVID-19 but will be monitored daily as a high-risk contact.
“They don’t appear to have a plan or identity offensively, and he is struggling, obviously, with decision-making,” said one NFL executive. “They don’t have any weapons at WR. Two leading receivers can’t separate. Two good TEs but they have only played four games together. Think they have played with 20 different OL combinations. With all that said, they have had some success running the ball, but they don’t run the ball much. The old adage is the QB’s best friend is the running game. Wentz looks like his confidence is shot and his teammates can see it, so you wonder how much buy-in he gets from teammates. Still believe in him as a QB but they have to get more talent around him and buy into the running game. He is pressing and if he doesn’t make the plays they have no shot winning.”
“He was very uncomfortable in the pocket,” said another NFL executive. “Showed little poise and was not going through his progression. Really beat up and ineffective offensive line coupled with receivers who cannot separate is causing him to force balls. No vertical threat so teams will sit on their receivers and jump routes. He is not disciplined with his reads or technique but it is not just him. They need to run the ball, get Carson on the move and get the ball out quick.”
Breer then asked the anonymous executives if the problems that Wentz and the team were experiencing could be fixed, which led to some disagreement.
“He is (fixable),” said an NFC executive. “But they need not only to get healthy but add weapons at receiver for him. I don’t know the person well enough, but he definitely has the physical tools. If he has the work ethic, discipline, is a good teammate, he could turn it around for sure. It depends on his makeup.”
“It’s hard to say on QBs,” pointed out another executive. “He had some of those same traits in college—he’s talented but there were more mental, psyche concerns than physical ability.”
- Eagles HC Doug Pederson said that he plans on calling the offensive plays in Week 14’s game. (Eliot Shorr-Parks)
Giants HC Joe Judge said he’s “fairly optimistic” that QB Daniel Jones (hamstring) will play in Week 14, but he still has a “ways to go.”
“I’m fairly optimistic, but at the same time, there’s a ways to go,” said Judge, via Art Stapleton.
- OUT for Week 14: CB Madre Harper (knee)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 14: CB Darnay Holmes (knee), QB Daniel Jones (hamstring), LB Blake Martinez (back), T Matt Peart (ankle)
- 49ers’ LT Trent Williams sees similarities between rookie DE Chase Young and teammate DE Nick Bosa. Williams says that while they each have different body types, both are active with their hands. Williams adds that Young is physically gifted and won “the gene pool lottery.” (Ben Standig)
- Williams also mentioned the changes he is currently seeing in Washington: “Those guys are playing with their hair on fire. … I think Ron Rivera, I think that’s been his thing since he was in Carolina is having a dominant defense. … I think that’s going to be the strong point of that team for years to come.” (Nicki Jhabvala)
- Williams is also proud of the legacy that he is leaving behind with his former team: “For me, my goal was to be a good teammate and put a good product on the field. And I think I did both.” (Jhabvala)
- OUT for Week 14: RB Antonio Gibson (toe)
- QUESTIONABLE for Week 14: DE Ryan Anderson (knee), T Morgan Moses (groin), G Brandon Scherff (calf), T David Sharpe (knee)