Regarding the Cowboys signing veteran DE Everson Griffen, HC Mike McCarthy said the edge rusher was “always a primary focus” to gameplan against when he coached the Packers.
“He was always a primary focus for us offensively [when in Green Bay]. He’s a relentless player. He brings it every down. I had an opportunity to visit with him. He’s a extremely excited. He’s gonna be a great addition to our football team,” said McCarthy, via Jon Machota.
McCarthy believes first-round WR CeeDee Lamb could play “all three” receiver positions.
“He’s definitely shown the ability to play all three spots at the receiver position. …He looks very natural on the football field,” said McCarthy, via Michael Gehlken.
McCarthy also praised Cowboys CB Daryl Worley’s versatility and could use him in certain matchups.
“He’s definitely someone you can use in a matchup. He’s fit right in. … He’s off to an excellent start. I think he looks very good,” said McCarthy, via Gehlken.
McCarthy mentioned that veteran OT Cameron Erving is dealing with an injury but it is not considered long term.
“He is dealing with an ailment. I don’t think it will be anything long term,” said McCarthy, via Machota.
- As for new Cowboys DE Aldon Smith, McCarthy said he “looks great” and has gained 20 pounds since he last played in 2017. (Calvin Watkins)
- Mike Garafolo mentions that while the deals of tight ends George Kittle and Travis Kelce will affect others at the position such as Hunter Henry, Evan Engram, and Mark Andrews, the Eagles already tried unsuccessfully to extend the contract of Zach Ertz last season.
- Garafolo adds that while Ertz has two years left on his deal, so does TE Dallas Goedert, which could make it hard for the team to keep both players long term.
- Eagles hosted TE Conner Davis for a visit on Friday. (Albert Breer)
- Washington LB Reuben Foster discussed some of the struggles he’s dealt with in his NFL career: “I’ve learned a lot. Just being humble, vulnerable. Understanding for a lot of things, of life. A REAL understanding of life. It’s the stuff that I can’t really explain. It’s hard to explain. I just know that my drive to get back on the field was insane.” (Nicki Jhabvala)
- Foster continued on his injuries: “I’ve been out for two years, and it’s kinda hard. It’s hard. I only know the pain. And certain people know the injuries I’ve been through, but I have to just keep pushing forward.” (Jhabvala)