Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones said Wednesday that they plan to pay QB Dak Prescott what “he deserves” when the time comes for him to get a new contract.
“Yeah, you know at that position, it kind of is what it is,” Jones said, via Pro Football Talk. “You kind of, when the time comes, [expect to pay him]. I know Dak is going to have a good year this year. I hope it’s up there. It’s going to be as he deserves. He was a fourth-round pick. No one deserves to get paid fairly more than he does. We all see what some of the other guys are who aren’t Aaron Rodgers, who aren’t Matt Ryan [are getting paid]. He’s going to do well. We certainly know that’s going to happen. We’ve got that planned in our budgeting for the salary cap.
“I just want Dak to go out and be MVP this year of the NFL. That’s what I want. Then, we’ll deal with that.”
- The New Orleans Saints officially waived LB Sae Tautu on Tuesday and he officially cleared waivers Wednesday. (NFLTR)
- Herbie Teope reports that Tautu will take part int he Saints’ rookie minicamp this weekend on a tryout basis.
- Saints DE Alex Okafor (Achilles) says he’s progressing well, but doesn’t expect to do much during OTAs and is instead hoping to be ready for training camp. (Nick Underhill)
- Brady Henderson reports that the Seahawks signed CB Byron Maxwell to a one-year contract worth $2 million.
- Maxwell’s deal breaks down to a $950,000 base salary, $500,000 signing bonus, $100,000 roster bonus (if on the 53-man roster in Week 1), and $450,000 in per-game roster bonuses.