Packers HC Mike McCarthy said veteran WR Randall Cobb (foot, ankle) looked “great” during the first day of training camp, but added he will continue keeping an eye on his health.
“Randall Cobb looks great,” said McCarthy, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN. “The first play where the ball goes deep to Randall, I think that tells you about his health status.”
Cobb admitted that he underwent surgery six weeks ago to remove a piece of cartilage in his ankle and said he can move “a lot better” after it bothered him during OTAs, per Tom Silverstein.
- Regarding fourth-round WR J’Mon Moore, McCarthy said it is “no accident” the rookie is already taking first-team reps with Aaron Rodgers and he likes how Moore has learned multiple receiver positions. (Ryan Wood)
- Packers LB Nick Perry (ankle, shoulder) said he “feels great” and is on track to start Week 1 of the regular season. (Michael Cohen)
Rams RB Todd Gurley, who just signed a four-year, $60 million extension, said he’s happy to take the “next step” and help out fellow running backs in terms of setting a higher salary for the position.
“I’m just happy to even be in a position to take the next step for us running backs,” Gurley said, via Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated. “And to be able to get closer to what a receiver or a D-end makes, it’s pretty good for us. There are a lot of great running backs in the league, and their time will definitely come. And when it’s time for them to get paid, hopefully my part has played a role in it.”
- According to Lindsey Thiry, Rams CB Lamarcus Joyner is expected to come off the team’s NFI list on Thursday.
- Rams OL Jamon Brown said his two-game suspension is due to a speeding violation and possession of marijuana. (Rich Hammond)
- Seahawks DE Frank Clark said he is limited in training camp due to hand surgery he underwent last month. (Bob Condotta)
- Seahawks HC Pete Carroll said DE Dion Jordan will be placed on the PUP list after sustaining an injury. Carroll added that Jordan suffered a “new injury” and is expected to be out “a few weeks.” (Bob Condotta)