- Per Pro Football Network’s Tony Pauline writes the Falcons are still believed to be in the hunt for Rams DE Dante Fowler if he comes down from his price. Fowler could also re-sign with Los Angeles.
- The Athletic’s Jourdan Rodrigue says she’s getting the sense that if a market doesn’t develop for Panthers QB Cam Newton, the team will cut him.
- That said, Rodrigue said Newton should have some trade value if he’s healthy.
- While Carolina was open to keeping Newton in 2020, they didn’t want to give him a contract extension as they expected he would want, per ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler.
- Carolina also likes how new QB Teddy Bridgewater provides the flexibility to move on to a first-round rookie potentially in 2020 or 2021.
- CBS Sports’ Jason La Canfora says he doesn’t get the sense the Panthers will tear everything down and view RB Christian McCaffrey more as a foundational piece than a trade chip.
- Panthers DE Stephen Weatherly‘s two year, $12.5 million deal includes a $4 million signing bonus, a guaranteed 2020 base salary of $2.25 million and a 4.4 million 2021 base salary. (Aaron Wilson)
- Weatherly has a $1.25 million roster bonus on the third day of the 2021 league year, plus an annual per-game active roster bonus up to $100,000.
- The Panthers are switching back to a 4-3 base defense under new HC Matt Rhule, though they will still be multiple in some ways. (Rodrigue/Person)
- According to Chris Tomasson of the Pioneer Press, the Vikings had interest in 49ers S Jimmie Ward before he re-signed with San Francisco.
- Minnesota put the franchise tag on S Anthony Harris but appears open to trading him.
- The Vikings are still interested in re-signing C Brett Jones, however, Jones is still interested in trying to find a starting job somewhere. (Tomasson)