- According to the Athletic’s Greg Auman, Buccaneers DT Ndamukong Suh, WR Chris Godwin and OT Josh Wells all returned to practice, while OT Demar Dotson remained out.
- Buccaneers rookie UDFA OL Zack Bailey was spotted on crutches in the locker room with a left ankle injury. (Auman)
- Buccaneers OC Byron Leftwich says TE O.J. Howard‘s time is coming in the offensive system, however, he wants it to happen naturally. (Scott Smith)
One of the shake-ups Falcons HC Dan Quinn instituted after a disappointing 2018 season in Atlanta was taking over the defensive play-calling after firing his previous defensive coordinator. Combined with the return to health of a number of starters, it was a move designed to revitalize the defense back to the level it was during Atlanta’s 2016 Super Bowl appearance. Instead, the Falcons defense has been even worse as the team has cratered to a 1-4 start. Still, Quinn says he will continue to call plays for the defense.
“If I felt [giving up the playcalling] was best, trust me, I would have certainly done that,” Quinn said via ESPN’s Vaughn McClure. “I know what we can do, we can do better. So that’s kind of where my mind is. I recognize the question, for sure, when you’re not achieving the results you have. But trust me on that one: My ego is never as big as the team. I will always do what’s best for that. But at this time, I don’t think that’s where I’m at.”
- Per Max Henson of the official team website, Panthers OC Norv Turner says RB Reggie Bonnafon has earned a bigger role with his performance Sunday. Bonnafon had five carries for 80 yards and the game-clinching touchdown: “When you get an opportunity to make plays and you take advantage of those opportunities, you are going to get more opportunities.”
- Panthers HC Ron Rivera said RB Christian McCaffrey‘s back is a little sore following Sunday’s game, but he was monitored during the team’s eight-hour flight to London to ensure his back received the treatment it needed. (Tiffany Blackmon)
- McCaffrey missed practice Wednesday again, which Rivera says will be the “new normal” going forward to help keep him fresh.
- McCaffrey is expected to practice in full on Friday and play Sunday. (Henson)
- Rivera confirmed second-round rookie OT Greg Little remains in the concussion protocol but is progressing through the steps. (Jourdan Rodrigue)