New 49ers LB Dee Ford says he believes he can be even more explosive in San Francisco’s defensive scheme.
“I didn’t have anything against Bob (Sutton’s) defense — we were just in conflict a lot of times,” Ford said via Yahoo!’s Terez Paylor. “One guy could be my coverage so I couldn’t be aggressive against the run and tee off like I want to.”
Ford said not having to rehab this offseason should also pay dividends in 2019.
“Last year, at the point of attack, I wasn’t very strong — sometimes, they could knock me off my path,” Ford said. “Now, I’m gonna be like a Ferrari, but with an 18-wheeler’s force. I’m gonna have the muscle mass behind it.”
- ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler says the 49ers made a late push for RB Le’Veon Bell, but the Jets beat it at the end. The deal was believed to be for fewer years, but with strong guaranteed money. (Fowler)
- NFL Media’s Ian Rapoport reports none of the Cardinals GM Steve Keim, HC Kliff Kingsbury or owner Michael Bidwill are in attendance for Oklahoma QB Kyler Murray‘s pro day.
- The Cardinals do have representatives at Oklahoma’s pro day, however. (Bob McManaman)
- James Palmer expects the Cardinals will hold a private workout with Murray.
- QB Brett Hundley‘s contract includes $750,000 guaranteed with $600,000 from the signing bonus, a base salary of $1.125 million, $50,000 53-man roster bonuses, $6,250 per-game active roster bonuses and up to $1 million in playing time incentives. (Aaron Wilson)
Rams HC Sean McVay acknowledged there was some “wear and tear” on RB Todd Gurley‘s knee.
“I don’t know exactly, medically, when you categorize what arthritis is, but I’ve never seen a guy on the medical report or on the injury report with that, McVay said, via Gary Klein of the Los Angeles Times. “And I think if you just said, ‘Is there a wear and tear? Was there a pounding that that knee took?’ Absolutely. … He’s the only one that can really talk specifically about how his body feels.”
GM Les Snead said there was nothing definitive about a reported arthritis diagnosis for Gurley, adding there are, “shades of gray of how fresh you are and what that reason is.”