- 49ers GM John Lynch said QB Jimmy Garoppolo‘s recovery from a torn ACL has been “flawless” per the Athletic’s Matt Barrows.
- Barrows says the 49ers could consider moving G Joshua Garnett if potential replacement OL Najee Torran plays well Monday night.
- The competition for the final wide receiver spot on the roster likely comes down to Jordan Matthews vs Kendrick Bourne, according to Barrows.
- NBC Sports’ Matt Maiocco mentions that the team has been counting on major steps forward from DE Solomon Thomas and WR Dante Pettis, but neither have quite delivered during practices.
- Maiocco believes the battle between Nick Mullens and C.J. Beathard for backup quarterback is still close, with Mullens slightly in the lead.
One of the most intriguing questions about the 2019 NFL season is what the Cardinals will look like with No. 1 overall pick Kyler Murray quarterbacking HC Kliff Kingsbury‘s college-style Air Raid offense. Kingsbury isn’t giving away any hints during the preseason, though, playing a version of his offense that makes the term milquetoast look bland.
“The games, we’re trying to keep it close to the vest, obviously,” Kingsbury said via NBC Sports’ Peter King. “We’re trying to get our players used to playing with each other. But … it’s interesting for me, because this is the NFL, and I’ve never called a game in my life where I wasn’t in straight attack mode. Kyler and I are adjusting to that.”
- According to ESPN’s Lindsey Thiry, Rams LB Micah Kiser will have surgery on Tuesday on a torn pectoral suffered during Saturday’s preseason game.
- There’s no timetable for a return to the field for Kiser, a 2018 fifth-round pick and projected starter at inside linebacker for the Rams this year.
- Rams LB Bryce Hager is next in line to start, per HC Sean McVay. (Gary Klein)