49ers’ GM John Lynch said in an interview with 95.7 The Game that Kittle “isn’t going anywhere” and they working to get an extension in place.
“George isn’t going anywhere,” Lynch said. “We’re going to work hard to try to get it done. I think they’ve got motivation just to really reset the tight end market, as do we, for him. It’s just finding that sweet spot, where that is.”
Tim Kawakami of The Athletic asked HC Kyle Shanahan if he and Lynch spoke with QB Jimmy Garoppolo after their Super Bowl loss and the persistent rumors that the team could move on from him in favor of then free agent Tom Brady.
“Totally. Definitely. Jimmy’s an easy guy to talk to about that type of stuff,” Shanahan said. “Jimmy and I are pretty honest with each other. I told him exactly really what I’ve told you. And it’s also fun to talk to him about this type of stuff. ‘Cause I mean, he worked with Tom. He knows how great Tom is. Jimmy wants to get to there. And it’s important to me that he does, too. I would love to have something like what (Bill) Belichick and Tom have had out there. Those are my expectations. It’s cool when something like this comes up that leads to conversations that Jimmy and I have had. And he knows those are my expectations and it’s cool that I know that they’re his, also.”
Cardinals HC Kliff Kingsbury said they drafted Eno Benjamin to learn from Kenyan Drake and Chase Edmunds going forward.
“We wanted to bring in a young guy who could learn from two backs we are very high on, be a productive part of the team,” Kingsbury said, via Darren Urban of the team’s official site. “We think Eno fits that need.”
Benjamin believes forming a relationship with Kingsbury while being recruited during high school allowed him to continue being noticed as the professional level.
“I think I’m a guy who is all about relationships,” Benjamin said. “I don’t burn those. There are a lot of coaches who, I didn’t go to their school, but I think I still have really good relationships with, who from time to time I reach out to or they reach out to me wishing me luck. He was one of those guys. The fact he recruited me and now he’s able to come back and get me in the league is phenomenal.”
Seahawks GM John Schneider says first-round LB Jordyn Brooks embodies what their organization is all about.
“That may be his best fit is playing inside, maybe (weak-side) linebacker,” Schneider said in an interview with Sports Radio 950 KJR. “But in  he played outside, really did a nice job out there, playing in space, coming downhill and rushing the passer and just showing off his speed. The guy has been very, very productive and really intense. He embodies what our organization is all about with a chip on his shoulder and just being a guy that really wants to be the best at his craft. Once he’s here he’ll remind you a lot of Bobby and K.J. in the way he plays and everything.”
- Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated believes Jadeveon Clowney‘s best option is to re-sign with the Seahawks on a one-year deal given Seattle’s defense is a scheme-fit for him. Breer notes that there is currently no urgency for teams to sign Clowney right now given that acquisitions no longer count against the NFL’s compensatory pick formula.
- Seahawks GM John Schneider reiterated that “we’re not shutting the door” on Clowney and the whole with Jarran Reed‘s jersey number is “neither here nor there.” (Brady Henderson)
- Schneider said RB Chris Carson is doing great and will be ready for the start of the season. (Bob Condotta)
- Schneider says he expects Mike Iupati to compete with Phil Haynes at starting left guard. (Bob Condotta)
- According to Schneider, when they drafted Damien Lewis “everyone felt like we were drafting a starting right guard in the NFL.”
- Schneider mentions that LB K.J. Wright had an offseason surgery and is in rehab mode. (Bob Condotta)
- As for drafting DeeJay Dallas, Schneider said it had nothing to do with Rashaad Penny‘s status and he was just a player they liked too much to let slip. (Bob Condotta)
- Schneider singled out backup quarterback as a spot to address and confirmed that they’ve signed WSU’s Anthony Gordon as a rookie free agent. (Brady Henderson)